The Sustainable Seafood Myth

Farmer31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Stroll by any Whole Foods seafood counter and you will see color-coded fish: Green for fully sustainable, yellow for partially sustainable, and red for fish threatened by overfishing or grown on polluting fish farms. Buy a "green" fish and you eat guilt free, confident that you are doing your part to save the ocean and its inhabitants.

http://pakagri.blogspot.com/2011/10/sustainable-seafood-myth.html

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That link works. Thanks, MetalSmitten (love your etsy stuff - it's gorgeous!)

Sustainable seafood is about what kinds of seafood you can eat without contributing to the massive overfishing problems facing marine ecosystems. There is some good information from the Monterrey Bay Aquarium about what kinds of seafood are best.

The linked blog post criticizes the sustainable seafood models like the one linked above, saying they do not take carbon emissions into account, because emissions also damage our oceans and waterways. It makes a good point. Like most food, it is best to get locally-grown/caught seafood/freshwater fish that are handled in a way that doesn't do too much environmental damage.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for the link :)

I'm a marine biology-conservation major, this next semester I might be taking on a similar project as the good/ok/bad choice chart (depends on how my shark fin research goes...)

Unfortunately the one thing I've learned is there's no one easy answer. While the chart is a great idea and is a good step, there are more things to consider. The stuff that is green and farmed, they may use antibiotics and steroids; what about trawling and how much damage that does? What if a species is farmed but gets loose in an unnatural area? And as the blog says, green house emissions.

It's like plastic, they are switching to corn plastic which is 100% biodegradable, however corn is Monsanto round up ready and ruins the earth in other ways. (come on decomposers, continue to evolve and help us!)

We have completely put ourselves in corners, and so there's no easy answer, but you have to "grade" such things and pick the best grade :/

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is an older thread, and my comment is only partially related to the original post. but this has inspired a rant. How about- instead of a store telling me what foods are "green", "sustainable", "heart- healthy", etc- put ALL of the info on the label and I will figure it out for myself.

"Green fish". *grumbles and mutters* :rant

Farmer31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Monsanto Never told u that ;)

luvinlife offthegrid said:
This is an older thread, and my comment is only partially related to the original post. but this has inspired a rant. How about- instead of a store telling me what foods are "green", "sustainable", "heart- healthy", etc- put ALL of the info on the label and I will figure it out for myself.

"Green fish". *grumbles and mutters* :rant

Latest posts