The three sisters

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have and in theory it's supposed to work well! At my place the beans took over the corn and pulled it down and the squash/pumpkins took over everything, lol. Actually, it did ok, but the corn was overwhelmed.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I planted beans next to my corn stalks one time. Dumb thing to do. The corn finished, the stalks died, the beans grew all over them and the stalks fell over. We propped them up with T-posts and tied string to try to hold them up. I'll never do THAT again!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My granddad did this all the time. So the secret is that we do NOT have the same types of corn now. Indians had dent corn types...heavier stalks, deeper roots, different soil as they didn't till like we do. While it is edible fresh, it is a little tougher than the hybrid sweet corns now. It is truly a dry & grind type. Plus, you can't overplant the beans. Right now, I have pole lima beans starting up the cattle panel I put in for them In 30 days that fence will be totally covered with heavy vine. Bean plants are planted closer than would have been if NOT set with heavy frame in place.

The squash & pumpkins will help cover & shade the ground to help control weeds but a PITA to walk thru!

I have 3 squash vines that are overtaking anything within 20ft of them! Not positive of kind (volunteer from hog pens) but appear to be a butternut type shape -- except that they are striped! So, thinking capshaw....but not curved neck. NO idea! Face it, I threw all kinds of donated veggies to them, this could be anything -- even an off type from a hybrid. They sure are growing well!!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We DO have those old varieties of corn. I plant them. Currently growing Hastings Prolific White Dent corn. The stalks at 12' to 15' tall and strong. The corn that I planted beans on was Daymon Morgans Kentucky Butcher corn and it grew 12' tall, was strong and healthy. But after the stalks died, the vines took over and pulled the stalks down. As long as the corn was alive, it worked, but after the stalks died, it didn't work anymore.

http://www.southernexposure.com/ken...butcher-dent-corn-bulk-size-12-lb-p-1565.html

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW Bay....you had some wonderful beans!! LOL truly, bean vines can be HUGE and they are far heavier than most think they will be. I hope the panel will hold my beans when matured.

Feel pretty sure the squash is butternut.....monsterous vines. Hope more fruit sets in this heat. You know how that is !!

rodeogirl

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm trying this method this year. I'm loving it so far, the only problem I have run into is my fault. I didn't plant early enough so the corn isn't as tall as I would like and my boyfriend pull my cucumbers (that where talking the place of squash) by mistake. But everything else is going well.