The_whingnut's road to ........................

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ok we started up with being more frugal and less dependant on others. Last sunday we planted our test garden in the back yard. turned the ground, fertilized and added lime. We planted a few herbs, tomatoes, and peppers. we do not have a lot of yard space to use, so we just tried a few things (we live in Navy housing) so its a 20'x5.5' plot.

yesterday (6 june 2012) we went to the local transfer station (city dump) and picked up a small truck load of compost for free (less time and fuel). i also picked up a discarded porpane tank to work a project with.

Today (7june2012) i started using a new razor head I made sure it was clean when i was done its on the rack and i stropped(? spelling) it. lets see how long it will last. i will be looking for my old shaving brush and soap cup i had from way back and try and find a replacement straight razor for the one i lost in MS. the local indoor flea market has a few vendors who have good quaility old razors that can be cleaned & re-edged. usually for 10-20 bucks.

I will get pictures up asap. but right now i have a class to teach how to set things on fire.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So quick update. In Nov of 21 we sold off the house in norfolk va. Moved into an rv and have been full timing since. We used the profit from the house sell to buy 40 acres in TN near my family in April of this year. Im on terminal leave with a retirement date of 30 sept. We head south next week. We will be living off the property until i can get my power, septic and well put in. Then is going to be setting up the property one system at a time. And we got a dog Teddy the maligator.

Attachments

• 20211228_161637.jpg
    20211228_161637.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20211228_154547.jpg
    20211228_154547.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220727_070800.jpg
    20220727_070800.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 87

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just got the electric company issue sorted with all extra commercial payments credited to the account. Easy fix just called the engineers and submitted the septic and explained I needed the 200amp to run my residence and well pump.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look at the job this way... anything you can get done now, with the extra income from the job... gets you further ahead, FASTER, and if the job situation gets worse and you don't have one in the future, you might be grateful to be that much further ahead. I honestly believe that we are going to be in some hard times for a few years... even if the elections swing things, we are not going to get out of this mess in twice the time it took them to get us into it.
Get all you can get out of it for the next 4-12 months... and get things done as you can... even if it means doing the rv for a year. I promise you, you will be glad to have the work money... and be happier if things are financially easier in a year or 2, because of the sacrifice you are making now.
Yeah thats how im looking at it. Plus im looking at side work on trade or barter for other stuff we need.
Some good news we now have septic permits and a well contract. Just waiting on the well to be drilled.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Other than the water plumbing, wire and pressure treated 4x4 and 2x6. Everything else is salvage or upcycled metal from old building, power panel from old house, breakers and plugs are from an rv power pole, 2x4s were concrete forms, conduit was salvaged from a data center. All the earthworks to make the site level is from the property. Creek rock is from the bottoms.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The power companies really do not take the time to do things right from the start... billing as commercial was totally wrong... and they will give you a bs runaround to get it changed... AND you are due a credit for the screwup....keep after them until you get it straight....but such a waste of your time to have to "redo" something that should never have been done in the beginning.

That's great about being on the property and finding treasures like the grapes....