Thermostat--your winter LOW

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
those using controlled heating, how low do you go in winter?

In NC....we will be cold in late Dec./Jan/Feb.

BRR...those are our worst times.

Right now I have set the heat on 67. I have been 68 and decided to try 2 more degrees down. I went to 66 but found I am chilly....so up to 67 and I seem very comfortable at night now.

I have a small space heater (elec) in the master bath cause that room is always COLD, and it is on low and I turn it on before bed at night and off first thing in the morning. Tony's 4:30 am shower is cozy and mine not far after is warm also!

Nicole sleeps in footie fuzzy jammies and she is toasty warm with a blanket so I don't worry about her getting cold.

But wondering how low do you set your winter thermostat?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
67 is usually pretty much the norm for us. My son's room is on the front of the house (gets morning sun) and ours is on the back north side (very little winter sun). It can vary as much as 10 degrees between those two rooms. Kitchen has lots of windows and gets lots of sun, so it is usually pretty toasty.

I'm kind of cold natured, so I just put on an extra layer if I get chilly. Plus, we have 3 little dogs that sleep with us and they are like little 110 heaters. :lol:

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
68 during the day. 59 at night. Our thermostat is a little less than accurate. I really want to get a programmable one soon.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We keep our thermostat between 60 and 63 degrees when we're home. It's always a bit challenging at first but we get used to it quickly, and the added benefit is it keeps houseguests from sticking around too long! :cool:

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We are up and down because we heat mainly by wood, so rooms are in the high 50's and others are warmer. In the mornings it is chilly because the fire has usually gone down to coals and DH likes to sleep with the bedroom window open. Makes it hard to get out of bed but you sure wake up quick when your feet hit the floor:>)

You're right about the houseguest situation AnnMarie...my sister says my house is FREEZING!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW most of you do go LOW

I could not do 59 at night. I just couldn't handle it..LOL

and ETR--off at night. In the morning how low does the house go?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
49 or 50 but I'm one of those sleeping with the window open types so cold in the morning is invigorating to me as long as I can warm it up fast- I have been know to stand inches away from the pellet stove in the morning. :lol: Slowly turning around to warm one side then back to warm the other.
I think if it was too warm in the house I'd be whining about having to go aout to do morning chores.

PS I forgot to mention before I moved to this insulated house, on of my morning chores was to scrape the ice off the inside of the living room windows so that it wouldn't puddle up on the windo sills. It's alll relative I guess.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm a whimp. Right now its 70 in here and in the 40's outside. The basement makes it hard to get this place warm. Last year I kept it about 73 in the daytime and let it go down to 67 at night (we used coal and wood to heat during the day and the furnace stayed off until the fire died down at night. But we have a problem with getting coal this year and we have dead trees to cut up that are seasoned since they have been dead over a year but we had univited rude company show and they took up the good weather day we had. DH had to go back to work the nest day. I have been using a handsaw to cut up branches in the mornings but I fear the chainsaw. I'm so annoyed at those people. He actually laughed to my husband "Well, you didn't get any wood cut did you?" as they left. They know we heat with wood. Grrr .... can you tell I passed mad about three days ago? Next time they come over to get eggs ..... I'm going to give them poop covered ones. I may have to paint a few with poo to get a good coat on them. Okay ... rant off.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
We put ours down to 60 at night, 66 during the day, then up to 70 from supper time till bed time.

We have electric blankets, and put on sweaters if we are cold during he day, but we are usually busy, so if it's cold, it doesn't bother us.