They want $50 for this, What do you guys think?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i have a seeder (commercial) that recognized which seed you are planting, as you walk along behind it it furrows, plants the seeds and covers it as it goes,
Its a stand-alone, not a tractor attachment. They want $50 for it, and I'm seriously considering it (they emailed back with some details but I have yet to hear back from them again and I'd really love to go and pick it up today). If this is really what it sounds like, that would save so much time and back-breaking work planting next season seeing as the garden is doubling almost tripling in size this fall.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you had an acre of market garden I'd say sure, a proper seeder would be worth it.

For what it sounds like you've got, just a big home garden, you can save yourself the bending-over part by just dropping the seeds individually down a length of pvc (or other) tubing. Tack a wheel on the bottom if you are extra lazy :). You will still have to meter the seeds into the top of the pipe by hand as you go along but I have seen others do it and it sure doesn't look difficult.

So, I guess it just depends on how much that $50 is burning a hole in your pocket. Think of it as the price of a textbook... ;)

Have fun either way,

Pat

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ours is 20x30 right now, it'll be probably 60 x 30 by next spring, maybe bigger. It just takes so darn long. Haha yeah $50 for a textbook, but I'm not certain I'll be going yet. If I had wanted dorm, I've missed the deadline as far as getting my app in and the dorn deposit ($500) cause I honestly don't have $500.00 and I haven't even been able to send in my funding forms yet because I need my dad to sign them and he's in Toronto and I'm kind of not :) So far its looking like I'll apply for the 2010 school year and hopefully I can get a job before then and at least save up SOMETHING.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
30x60? Gee whiz, just draw a furrow with the handle of your hoe or rake, and seed by hand through a pvc pipe if you don't want to bend over. Honest.

If you WANT to buy this thing by all means do, I'm sure the person selling it would appreciate the money, but I can't see anyone with normal manual dexterity needing it, even on like a 100' plot.

Enjoy yourself,

Pat

Latest posts