Things To Stock Up On: in case the SHTF

S

sunsaver

I don't recommend spending a ton of money at once. Whats even worse is panic buying when a real emergency such as winter storm or hurricane are on their way. Just buy a little extra of these items, each time you go shopping:

Salt and pepper and other dry spices like garlic powder
Powdered or canned milk
Canned meats and vegetables
Dry goods: beans, rice, pasta
matches or lighters
batteries, flashlight, pocket radio or emergency radio
candles or kerosene for your lanterns
plenty of firewood, charcoal, and propane

This is a short list of essentials for food, lighting, heating, and cooking. You might want to include ammo on your list. What other things should be on the SHTF list?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Something to store water? and disinfect it?
First aid kit
Basic medications, ibuprofen, whatever drug of your choice
Take time for one beer

Maybe two beers.

Are we talking winter storm first? I'd have a shorter list for that, and I think you pretty much covered it.

Maybe three beers. Been a long day here in Kansas.

S

sunsaver

Got a well, so didn't think of that.

Several five gallon buckets with clean water and lids. No need to treat the water, just boil it.
First aid kit and meds are a must.

What about "luxury items" ? Assuming there would be a long power outage:

Books, magazines
Board games (if you have family with you)
Hand held electronic games, smart phone, etc. (might not work if the entire grid goes down)

Other issues:
Gasoline for your vehicles
Tools, jack and drop light on board for making repairs
Tire plug kit and wire cutters and channel locks for removing nails or screws, cordless drill for cleaning out the hole to accept the plug
Air tank or portable 12volt compressor to air up tires.

What else?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It depends on what you are talking about. To ride out a storm, I have 2 weeks of supplies on hand. I do need more water and propane for my stove. I have blankets in case the heat goes out.

If you are talking, shtf and you are on your own for who knows how many months, I'm not set up to survive that at all. I'm in a city apartment. My plan is to take my several weeks of supplies to Auntie's house if it happens before I move. And to a friend up north after I move.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Supplies for projects that can be done without electricity! I have patterns, fabric, thread and notions and a treadle machine. Wool, carders, a drop spindle, knitting needles and a pattern book. Fabric for quilting. Art supplies. And on and on.... :p

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been trying to switch over from having everything in a freezer to canned and dried goods... no telling how reliable or un power might be

my husband has been trying to figure out a decent snare for squirrels. We have neighbors a little too close for shooting.

toothbrushes came to mind.
flour, or wheat berries and a grinder
yeast or sourdough starter
coffee and cocoa
honey or other sweetener
oil and/or butter (I found a video online on how to can butter or ghee)
The Firefox Books, if you don't already have them.
some good pieces of leather

I want to buy a couple of bolts of fabric- one suitable for pants, one for tops.

On another thread, I mentioned that my MIL used to put cans of water into the canner if she had spaces left over at the end of a session. The sealed water might get a little bit flat and stale, but it will stay potable as long as the seal holds. And since she lived in earthquake country, she put a thick rubber band around each glass jar when she stored them, so they would have a little more cushion from being jumbled against each other.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Britesea said:
And since she lived in earthquake country, she put a thick rubber band around each glass jar when she stored them, so they would have a little more cushion from being jumbled against each other.
That's really smart.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great review.

I love the rubberband idea.

Did anyone say vegie seeds?? Sprouting seeds are good as well.

I also store oil lamps and fuel.

G

S

sunsaver

abifae said:
It depends on what you are talking about. To ride out a storm, I have 2 weeks of supplies on hand. I do need more water and propane for my stove. I have blankets in case the heat goes out.

If you are talking, shtf and you are on your own for who knows how many months, I'm not set up to survive that at all. I'm in a city apartment. My plan is to take my several weeks of supplies to Auntie's house if it happens before I move. And to a friend up north after I move.
I was still living in a city apartment when i first started dreaming about an ss life as a means to early retirement. I'm practically there, but worried about the rest of the country if TSHTF.

Dental and personal hygiene care products (baking soda and peroxide for me)
Soap, if you dont make your own
Oil and flour and yeast
Open pollinated seeds (i always save my own seeds, and have a massive collection at all times)

This list is growing and getting great responses. So what else?