Thinking about processing a few old chickens

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have some chores to tend to and I plan on doing it very soon. The results will be the processing of about 15 small farm animals, over half of which are over a year old.....some over 3 years old, namely the chickens. I plan on killing 5 roosters and about 5 hens....none of which are what you'd call spring chicks.
Well, here is the thing.......I know it will be hard to skin them, because I did that a few months ago, as a favor for someone who didn't have the courage. I'm wondering if it will be any harder to pluck them than it is to pluck a 4 month old chicken, using the scalding and mechanical plucker. Seems like I had problems, in particular around the lower legs of the old bird I skinned a few months ago. Also, the halfing of the bird was a bit harder.
I am aware that I'm limited as to how all I will choose to cook the birds.......well, maybe not the hens, but I will be using crock pots and soup pots for these animals.
I miss Momma right now because she is really the first one I would have called, but you know........Oh well, I"m sure one of you can tell me what I want to know.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never done a chicken that old. The oldest I ever butchered was about 10 months old, and I didn't have any trouble with skinning her. But instead of stewing, you might try deboning and grinding the meat. I imagine that would take care of the toughness issues.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I have some chores to tend to and I plan on doing it very soon. The results will be the processing of about 15 small farm animals, over half of which are over a year old.....some over 3 years old, namely the chickens. I plan on killing 5 roosters and about 5 hens....none of which are what you'd call spring chicks.
Well, here is the thing.......I know it will be hard to skin them, because I did that a few months ago, as a favor for someone who didn't have the courage. I'm wondering if it will be any harder to pluck them than it is to pluck a 4 month old chicken, using the scalding and mechanical plucker. Seems like I had problems, in particular around the lower legs of the old bird I skinned a few months ago. Also, the halfing of the bird was a bit harder.
I am aware that I'm limited as to how all I will choose to cook the birds.......well, maybe not the hens, but I will be using crock pots and soup pots for these animals.
I miss Momma right now because she is really the first one I would have called, but you know........Oh well, I"m sure one of you can tell me what I want to know.
Maybe if you ask what you want to know we can help but since you have done it before i won't repeat everything. yes skining them will be hard but fat birds skin easier because the fat is weak compared to muscle. yes old birds pluck harder than young birds. we usually cut the joint at the drumstick and leave the wings as waste [way to much work for little meat] Agood pair of pouiry shears works for me but a friend swears by his cleaver for halfing and cutting up the birds. For me a pressuer cooker beats a crock or stew pot.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes. I would try to fatten them up a bit more before butcher. Skinning and plucking would both be harder. I have heard of people scalding for up to 5 min then ice water before trying to skin. I never tried it. For cooking any tough meat.... I love my pressure cooker! If you want to split them, cut through the skin and use a small saw for the keel and back. I've tried a cleaver, but it takes practice. Messed up allot of meat :hide

desertcat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go ahead and skin them. Tried plucking one of my ancient hens last month...much less fun (?) than skinning. Not to mention on birds that old, we won't be looking for a crispy covering on a piece of fried chicken!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
For an old hen, it's so much easier to split up the breast on the skin and just remove the breast filets, then shuck the skin down a ways off the legs...sort of like taking a baby out of a tight one piece sleeper with footies. Just shuck it down and cut off the legs, peel it back a little and cut the meat loose along the hip/top of the thigh and remove the whole leg. All the essential meat from an older bird will be in these areas only and you don't even have to pluck, skin all the way or even gut the bird.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanx everyone. Pretty sure I will begin tomorrow. I never allow too many freeloaders. Up until now, everyone but the rabbits have been earning their keep, but its time to cull.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
For an old hen, it's so much easier to split up the breast on the skin and just remove the breast filets, then shuck the skin down a ways off the legs...sort of like taking a baby out of a tight one piece sleeper with footies. Just shuck it down and cut off the legs, peel it back a little and cut the meat loose along the hip/top of the thigh and remove the whole leg. All the essential meat from an older bird will be in these areas only and you don't even have to pluck, skin all the way or even gut the bird.
Yep many hunters do this for ducks and small upland game birds. Take what they wabt to eat and leave the rest to feed varmits.