Thinning eggshells

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had a conversation with someone about eggshells getting thinner as chickens age. Her hens are 3 now, and the shells aren't as strong as they were. I suggested oyster shell, and she said she uses that sometimes, and the hens love it, but she finds that the eggs taste fishy. I've never noticed that (from MY girls' eggs, not hers; I've never needed to buy her eggs). Has anybody here had that experience? I also suggested feeding back the eggshells, but she sells her eggs, so most of them go off the property. I don't know how many hens she has (she runs a CSA farm, and sells at the Farmers Market, so I imagine she has a large flock). She recently changed feed (to a non-corn/soy mix) without extra calcium. I'm hoping to find another alternative for her. Any ideas?
Extra note: My girls are also getting older; a few are 3, and one is 5. They get their oyster shell (and love it!), and I very rarely find a thin shelled egg. In fact, I am always surprised when I crack a supermarket egg (as seldom as possible, I can assure you ;)) at how easily they crack/shatter compared to those from my girls.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have nice strong shells on my eggs, I use a premium layer feed with cracked grains, pellets and oyster shell all mixed together. My hens are going on three years old now. This Spring they were laying HUGE eggd! They didn't fit in any size commercial egg carton.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feed oyster shell and there is no fishy taste. By the time is it processed and crushed for purchase, it is more like little rocks than anything fishy. it reminds me of a co-worker from quite a few years ago who refused to drink coffee from an electric coffee maker because he claimed he could taste the "lectricity".

If she sells her eggs and no one has returned her eggs because they taste like fish, then why not give the hens oyster shell? She already said they love it.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oyster shell for me as well and no fishy taste.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My oystershell doesn't even smell fishy and I've never had any taste. Is she feeding the hens layer? I have a couple girls that don't eat enough oystershell so I have to feed layer a few times a week. They always have oystershell. Maybe she needs a different brand?

Maybe crush up a couple Tums and mix them up a yummy wet mash for them?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I suggested that she might want to change brand. I can see her concerns though; she sells her eggs through her CSA and the farmers' market, and now is the busy season. I'm sure she doesn't want to experiment, and take the chance of having all her eggs taste like fish. This whole thing came up because she was warning her CSA customers (of whom I am one, just not for eggs) that they might notice that the shells were thinner. Her customers are pretty loyal; I imagine that she will get sufficient feedback over the season to be able to decide what she needs to do. Again, thanks for chiming in.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm getting a few thinner shelled eggs, too. I'm pretty sure they're from my older girls. I feed egg shells back to them, plus there's so much limestone around here that I never bothered with oystershell.

That's interesting about a possible fish taste - I never would have thought about that.

Latest posts