This is frustrating.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I think frugality is not just a good idea, I think it is a necessity. And associated with it is the necessary setting of priorities.

For example, I know that after paying bills I will have about $30 at the most left to live on every two weeks. The choices I make determine how the next two weeks will go. If the leftover amount is under $10, and recently it was $3, I am not able to put gas in the car and I stay home and find creative things to do with what I have on hand, just to feel like I am being productive. If there is extra money, which is rare, but it happens, I generally stock up on something that I can't live without later on down the line if there is no money at all. Food, water, cleaning products, health items.

I don't have an entertainment budget. I seldom drive the 15 mile round trip to my daughter's house, nor the 7 miles round trip to my parents.

If there is a "need", and I can't afford it, I just have to do without it. I haven't bought a new bra, for instance, in 13 years. I haven't had new glasses since 1996. I did have to get some WalMart/thrift store clothes this year because I have lost weight, but nothing over $10. In fact, most things under $5.

I am embarrassed to say how long it has been since I replaced underwear, even though it's enormous on me. I just don't spend money I don't have. Got caught in the credit trap before and had 13 credit cards that just about did me in. Never again.

My perception of this forum is that there are a few out there who live the same way: On the edge of poverty. My projected income for 2010 is just under $15,000.

I went to my niece's house last night for the 4th. She is a SAHM with four kids, and her husband supports them while going to school to improve himself. He will graduate very soon and has a better job lined up already.

In the meantime, they get food stamps and Medi-Cal (health care) and a number of other things that low income family qualify for. They filed for bankruptcy some years ago, and currently they again have a number of credit cards which are maxed out, and they are three years behind on their property taxes, she told me last night.

She made a great meal for all 19 of us (I took fresh corn from the garden, which was delicious!), and we had almost an hour's worth of uninterrupted fireworks, and not the cheap kind. I am guessing $200 worth. Some of them were $10 each.

She took me aside to tell me how tough a spot they are in financially, have $2 in the bank, etc., and she doesn't know how they are going to make it. As she gestures, I note that she has freshly manicured acrylic fingernails. In the living room, I hear talk of how they traded in all their other game systems and replaced them with the updated Wii, becauase it was a cool color.

This frustrates me. And you know what? That's all I am going to say. The whole situation put me in a foul mood, and I wanted to vent about it and then move on.... Hope I can pull that one off!!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow!

well if it makes you feel any better.. i have that same person in my family. only she makes fun of us b/c we farm.

sorry you had to experience that.

but

SHE wasnt on the news!!! you have your celebrity if nothing else!

:)
ps plus we all love you!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Okay, I just laughed my Santa laugh (bowl full of jelly) at that one! THANK YOU !!!!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I know how that is.

A majority of the kids I went to school with always had the latest gadgets and video games, latest brand name clothing, etc. etc.

So obviously I was a social outcast in my holey shoes, hand-me-downs and thrift store clothing. :p

However, those kid's families have accumulated a life's worth of debt and expenses that SOMEONE is going to have to pay for. I'm glad I don't have to do that! :lol:

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Hear you, Blackbird. I grew up in the 60's when everything was changing, including styles, at a breathtaking pace. Other girls were in wild colors and mini skirts, while I dressed like I was from the 1940's. It was tough. High school sucks. You should pardon my French.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
The wife and I just went on a short shopping trip this morning. I had to get parts for a customers vehicle and then we headed down to the Blueberry Patch to pick up a small bucket of fresh berry's for the freezer.
My T shirt has a hole in it, and The Wife had on a pair of her garden shorts that also has a hole in them. :gig But you know what? We still love each other very much, and we BOTH had a good laugh at what we must look like to the other folks. :clap

We may be poor, but we sure are rich. :frow

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Your French is pardoned. :lol:

Here too Skr8pn, we wear em until they can't be put on!

We had family over this weekend. My SIL was 'bragging' about how she got a couple pairs of jeans on sale for only $85! :th

Meanwhile I just got a pair of good jeans on ebay for $3.00 and a decent shirt for .40 cents. I don't think she knows the meaning of a good deal.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thinking about what I could store up for $85 !

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I have friends and family that are the same....I think we all know somebody who is like that, and so we all feel your frustration. My DH left out for the week and put a $10 bill on the counter....it was there when he came home 7 days later. The car hadn't been moved, and heck, the front door hadn't even been opened! He always asks me "Do you need anything for the week?" ....."Nope, I'm good". I try to do just about everything with the light coming through the windows....including shower. I know where everything is, I don't need the light on ;)

Point is, some of us ARE living right on that edge, and like you, do whatever it takes to get us through. We've learned to make do without many things, and also learned how to make do with the little bit we have. We are all learning skills and ideas on recycling, reusing, etc. Things we should all be proud of, and even commended for by the 'masses'. Yet the yuppie down the road thinks we're nuts, and believes they should be praised for buying their Starbuck's coffee in a cup made from "20% recycled paper"......:rolleyes:

I think you set a fine example for all of us!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My father used to give us kids cash for school clothes shopping.

My brother and sister would end up with two pairs of jeans and a sweater. I would end up with all the clothes I needed plus money tucked into savings.

This pattern has not yet changed LOL. The only frustrating thing is that everyone is happier to bail the two morons out of trouble whereas I'm to blame for any of my own. Personally I say we're all three to blame for our own issues, but that's a social construct that I blame the state of the world on, so I won't go there.

:D

It's good to be frugal. As things worsen and debts are called in more forcefully, I'll be very relaxed knowing I have no debt to my name.