this place is worthless for my needs

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was part of a game guild leadership for almost 2 decades. You cannot usually tick me off at all. In game and on the forums we had to deal with a lot of crap. Adult men acting like 12 year olds and actual 12 year olds acting like spoiled children not getting their way. Girls who have to have drama in their life. "None of you care about me and my baby. I'm a single mother and you need to send me money to cover bills or I'll report you to the game masters for harassment!" "Go ahead. We have chat logs and you admitted to things that need turned over to CPS." (Her mother got custody. She blamed us for ruining her life.)

I, however, also was in the Navy and do sometimes have to step back and think before hitting reply so I don't violate rules myself. No swearing can be hard.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'd really like to raise sheep as yet another meat source. My partner says here in Minnesota it's basically a losing battle, only a matter of time until predators kill them all. There are wolves around here, have been spotted on our farm, even enough for at least one, a black male, to become a noticeable visitor. We have the poultry protected and cattle have horns to fend off even wolves, but any tips for raising sheep for meat in this environment? Thankfully no Grizzlies here but plenty of black bears plus the wolves. I do not want to raise sheep restricted to barns, even though we have enough barn space for that to be possible. They would then be vitamin D deficient and have no fresh pasture to graze and I don't like the idea of livestock not allowed to roam outside.

Any/all tips welcome as long as they involve the animals being allowed to roam in pastures/paddocks as normal, not interested in ways of raising them in barns. If it's not possible here then it's just not and that's OK, just looking for possible ways if such exist. :)

I'm in northwest WI and have sheep on pasture. They have access to a barn. In winter they stop going outside by choice, so we close up the barn and keep them in. The previous farmer also had sheep. I have never lost sheep to a predator. The previous farmer didn't either.

I have coyote in the area, black bears next door, and have seen wolf tracks on our farm. I don't have a livestock guardian dog.

IDK! I know other farms in my county lose calves to coyotes. So I think the very local environment makes all the difference in whether or not a farm has livestock predator problems.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Probably most will suggest daytime pastures, barn & paddock nights...several adult, well trained LGDs 24/7. It works for most. Research it. We have a lot of threads on BYH sister site on both dogs and sheep.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grew up in MN and our neighbors had sheep, lots of them. They were as @Mini Horses said, out to graze during the day and in the barn at night. They rotated pastures during the spring, summer and fall, and then (I believe) kept them in one large area in the winter. They had a few dogs running around, don't believe they were specifically LGDs, but they worked. Also, electric fence was involved.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Screenshot_20221208-072524_Chrome.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
**** THE HELL OFF ALL OF YOU ADMITTEDLY BRAINWASHED IDIOTS. STOP RESPONDING, STOP EMAILING ME, DELETE THIS ACCOUNT, CONTINUE ON IN YOUR OWN LITTLE BRAINWASHED WORLDS, KEEP WATCHING MSM NEWS ALSO DON'T FORGET TO GET YOUR 145 COVID "BOOSTERS" PLUS FLU AND EVERYTHING ELSE, WHATEVER THE HELL IT TAKES FOR YOU TO JUST DIE WITH YOUR MUTILATED GRAIN-FED GRAZING ANIMALS AND DIE DIE DIE THE SOONER THE BETTER SO NORMAL PEOPLE CAN JUST LIVE IN PEACE. WHATEVEVER JUST GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE EMAILS. THANK YOU CARRY ON IDIOTS.
If some of this post was directed twords me. I extend mercy, grace and forgiveness.

Enjoy your evening.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The funniest - SADDEST - thing is, many of us brainwashed idiots do not believe in the 145 covid vaccine boosters, most of us try to learn a little from someone else, most of us don't go around wishing other people would DIE DIE DIE to let "normal people" go on living their life.... most of us do not eat mutilated animals but eat our own home raised animals given the best care we can which includes some vaccines and also does not let animals suffer if they should get sick... and I don't know too many that watch MSM on TV .....:th
:(:lol: