Thistles? Non-chemical solution?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
I've heard that until it makes seed, thistle plants regrow very aggressively. Nobody is arguing there, but maybe you could trick it. Could you let it flower and get pollinated - then bag the flowering part so it can't release the seeds? Once seeds mature, the plants energy dwindles and you can pull the whole plant. This wont be practical if you have a field of them- but if they are just getting into an area- it might be enough.
I do not believe it is possible to bag an entire thistle plant (which is about what you'd have to do to encompass all the flowers) and have the bag stay on for weeks without blowing off.

You can't cut the flowering parts off, b/c new branches which will flower will just spring forth from the remaining parts of the plant and bloom and set seed in harder to see places like down by the ground.

I don't know whether I mentioned it on this thread or some other one, but waiting til the first buds open and then cutting them as low into the ground as your bread-knife or shovel can reach is a very effective strategy IME for the common big dark-purple thistles around here (the ones that can get taller than you are);

However, warning, it is counterproductive for Canada thistle. That one, you gotta catch EARLY.

Pat