Those little Oxygen absorbers

RhondaLynn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a dumb question!! I ordered off line.. 50 of the little blue/white oxygen absorbers. I thought 50 was a good number for me.. not to few and not to many. I received my order and all 50 are in one bag. how am I suppose to use 2-3 of them and store/save the rest?? I have thought of serveral ways.. have a friend save babyfood jars and put 3-6 of them per babyfood jar. then plan to use all per jar at a time?? I planed to use them with my seal/n/save bags that I vacuume the air out on my dried apples/jerky and other items of that sort... Please let me know what/how you use them.
Rhonda

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have never used them, but can well imagine that putting the extra into jars would work very well. Of course, use the smallest jar that will do the job, or several small ones.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have some coming and plan to keep them in a ziploc bag in a vacuum sealed jar.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
I have some coming and plan to keep them in a ziploc bag in a vacuum sealed jar.
But don't they create their own vacuum?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No they only absorb the oxygen out of the air and leave the nitrogen.

I put my extras in a bag and vaccuum sealed it. Left it long enough that when I cut it to get more out I can just reseal it.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I dont' use them but have a friend who does and she put them, once opened into the smallest mason jar that will hold them all and quickly so that they do not "go bad". She then uses what she needs in the mylar bags and seals them and they seem to suck the bags down tight for her.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I put them in a mason jar and just screw the band/lid on tightly. When I need a couple I open the jar, get what I need and put the lid back on. I have been doing this for two months, they're still good with no vacuum sealing or special treatment.

RhondaLynn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.. this is sort of what I had planned on doing. I have a bag sealer so I may do that instead of babyfood jars! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Rhonda

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't trust my bag sealer! LOL All it took was one fail and that was it for me. Hopefully you'll have better luck with that. :)

You don't have any other kind of jar with a tight fitting lid? I mean, any jar larger than a baby food jar to store them in?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They aren't that fast! Contents are usually pure Iron (not steel) powder amd they rust to absorb the oxyen (about 21%) out the air. Things can rust overnight but you are unlikely to see rust forming.