Those netted bags that onions come in...

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aye, that was my first thought, but I'm a while away from an onion harvest, if it does indeed turn out at all. :p (would be nice if it did, yes, it would...)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I put cabbage in them & hang them in the chicken pen to give the hens something else to peck at... :)

ronikins

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen people use them to hold yarn while knitting/crocheting projects. I would think you'd have to clean them well before, though.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I like that they can be hung up out of the way, so I use them a bit.

Hold bars of bath soap that have been removed from the box and left to air and harden, which makes the soap last longer.

I use them for holding small miscellaneous garden items like twine, gloves, spray bottles.

They are good for holding smaller electrical extensions once you've got them wound up and plug ends together.

In winter, can be used to hold suet or peanut butter and bird seed pinecones for the wild birds, if you feed them.

I like the "use them for feeding chickens" idea as well.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am about to put a WANT for those on free cycle. I need them to keep the squirrels from eating my pumpkins. Last year I did not get a single pumpkin despite huge, healthy vines. Any time a baby pumpkin popped up the squirrels nabbed them. Vfem gave me this idea.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd think a squirrel would bite right through the netting. They eat black walnuts, after all, and bit right through my house to get in... :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am sure they can bite through them, but I think the tangly mesh annoys them and they move on. I am willing to give it a try since I don't have any cast iron pumpkin protectors handy :)

Latest posts