tick keep away

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a tick keep away secret? My poor two year old had three in her hair yesterday. I do not want to have to use harsh chemicals on her.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Other than having chickens and/or guineas to eat them, no. Wish I did. I found one on me yesterday, got a shower and STILL had one on me when I woke up this morning, and found another one on me today.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DD who is 4 has had several on her already. Almost daily. The only thing I know to do is spread out tick killer. I don't like it, but it's better than Lyme disease. I can't have chickens or guineas loose here.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't understand why we never see ticks in our area.....its so warm and everything grows and thrives. But I'd go with guineas....better read up on them. Best to buy them as keets and raise them yourself....don't make the mistake of buying a guinea hen and turning her loose in your yard. You'll never find her again. She will go out looking for 'home.'

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No chickens or anything for me, :hit

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Check out some of the essential oils. Many of them are used for insect repellant. Rose geranium oil is supposed to make ticks run from it. Lavender, patchouli, tea tree oil. You would need to be careful that what you come up with is safe to put on a child. Maybe use a carrier of almond oil or jojoba oil?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Essential oils is a great way to go. I have a blend called Purification that is good for an insect repellent, and I make my own fly spray for my horse. I also do not use chemical flea/tick preventives on my dogs, I use a rotation of various essential oils. Lemongrass is a good way to go for bug repellent as well.
You might also want to research nemotodes for your yard as they help manage the bugs when they are small. I know they help with fleas, but they may help with ticks, too.

The ticks that carry Lyme disease actually get the lyme from rodents that are carriers that the ticks latch on to when they are very young. They drop off of the rodents after feeding, and thus becoming a carrier for lyme, and then attach to something larger, like deer, dogs, or you. If you work to manage your rodent population that can also help reduce the risk of lyme.

If you're interested in more information on the essential oils, I do a lot of work with them, and would be happy to get you set up in the right direction!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Essential oils is a great way to go. I have a blend called Purification that is good for an insect repellent, and I make my own fly spray for my horse. I also do not use chemical flea/tick preventives on my dogs, I use a rotation of various essential oils. Lemongrass is a good way to go for bug repellent as well.
You might also want to research nemotodes for your yard as they help manage the bugs when they are small. I know they help with fleas, but they may help with ticks, too.

The ticks that carry Lyme disease actually get the lyme from rodents that are carriers that the ticks latch on to when they are very young. They drop off of the rodents after feeding, and thus becoming a carrier for lyme, and then attach to something larger, like deer, dogs, or you. If you work to manage your rodent population that can also help reduce the risk of lyme.

If you're interested in more information on the essential oils, I do a lot of work with them, and would be happy to get you set up in the right direction!
That would be wonderful!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
hqueen, I would be interested myself. Maybe you should start a new thread about essential oils. I missed so much over the last year there may already be one that I don't know about. But if not I think it would be a great SS topic. And all the info would be in one place.

Latest posts