ticking off the in-laws at christmas

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so my in-laws are really good, God fearing people. most of them are very successful as well. at Christmas eve gift exchange one of them presented her elderly father a card. it said a goat had been gifted to a needy 3rd world family in his name. they were all pleased. I asked about the program. it seems the give animals to these people to help their financial situation. the goats are not for slaughter but for milk. to make and sell dairy products. very cool!

so then I asked "how are they gonna get milk from a goat that hasn't been bred?"

they said you just milk the goat. it doesn't need to be bred.
I said oh really? is it the same with cows? yes they said.
they just make milk without calving?
yes they said just like cows.
but cows have to valve.
no they don't. just milk them

lmao! it wasn't long before they realized talking amongst themselves that a mammal wont make milk without birthing first. and I got some dirty looks.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope it was a brown goat so it could make chocolate milk! :lol:

You should have asked is you could get rid of your incubator and just wait for the chicks to appear. Nawh -- that would put them into throwing things besides bad glances at you :hide

The Presbyterians send out such a gift promotion annually. It could be garden tools, an ox & plow, chickens, goats, a cow or a combo for a "village" project. Heck, we can't buy those items here for the prices they quote! But, it is good to help some countries to become more food sufficient, etc. In these catalogues they say missionaries go to access & train, etc.

Merry Christmas!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
so my in-laws are really good, God fearing people. most of them are very successful as well. at Christmas eve gift exchange one of them presented her elderly father a card. it said a goat had been gifted to a needy 3rd world family in his name. they were all pleased. I asked about the program. it seems the give animals to these people to help their financial situation. the goats are not for slaughter but for milk. to make and sell dairy products. very cool!

so then I asked "how are they gonna get milk from a goat that hasn't been bred?"

they said you just milk the goat. it doesn't need to be bred.
I said oh really? is it the same with cows? yes they said.
they just make milk without calving?
yes they said just like cows.
but cows have to valve.
no they don't. just milk them

lmao! it wasn't long before they realized talking amongst themselves that a mammal wont make milk without birthing first. and I got some dirty looks.

Still laughing at the auto correct on your post. I've always wondered where the valve is on a cow. Reminds me of the confusion of a young man who really had no business being in the breeding program. When discussing the function of a breast pump: He stated, "Oh, I see. It blows in air so the milk can come out."

Like all charities, it's wise to do the homework before committing funds. IMO, this is one of the charity programs that makes A LOT of sense. But, in order for them to be successful, there does need to be training. I think that a number of goats, chickens, cows or what ever are gifted to multiple members of a village. So, it's not a situation where a single animal does not have opportunity to breed and become sustainable. I love the idea of such a Christmas gift. Here, in the US, we are drowning under STUFF. We don't need more STUFF. I would be delighted with such a gift.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The idea behind the Heifer project was that, by sending some superior animals in, that would be bred to whatever was available in the village, the animal stock as a whole would slowly improve.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
yeah...I still never got an answer how 1 goat is gonna help some poor person.

If it's Heifer International charity, the animals are bred and reproduce, but a required number of offspring are given to another family in the community. The families who receive animals also receive training. It's the only not-local charity I give to.

But oh my goodness! :eek: one of those things I expect everyone knows. But I live in a dairy state, so IDK, maybe it's regional?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope they finally fixed the problems they had at first. My DH was in one of the first groups to do this. They found out later that NOT ONE goat or cow made it to the poor rural people it was supposed to go to; they all went to grace the tables of the foreign bureaucrats. He never did it again- he had sent one of his best does to that, and finding out some crass b**tard ate her....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow... Some people are just into total store bought and never stop to think about how or where the stuff they buy is made. I used to be that way myself, sad to say.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't know enough about this stuff, but i'd just assume there were other animals in that area that could be involved in breeding. i wouldn't assume they'd not know better or be able to find out.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yeah...I still never got an answer how 1 goat is gonna help some poor person.