Timber treatment

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone used Borax or a combination of Borax/Pyrethrum to protect against Borer ? I will be making my own cabin with both commercially treated framing timber and some trees I will be harvesting myself to use internally (not external framing or exposed anywhere to the weather)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has anyone used Borax or a combination of Borax/Pyrethrum to protect against Borer ? I will be making my own cabin with both commercially treated framing timber and some trees I will be harvesting myself to use internally (not external framing or exposed anywhere to the weather)

Yep... 20muleteam borax as much as you can get disolved in water and still get it to spray via pump sprayer. And if you want for non-exposed lumber add rite dye to help you guage where you sprayed and what needs more.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

livinglandnz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking I will brush it on or make a bath and soak the logs to really give it a good covering. I haven't used Borax before but from what I have read its cheap and works well.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking I will brush it on or make a bath and soak the logs to really give it a good covering. I haven't used Borax before but from what I have read its cheap and works well.

It does work well but it's not a preservative. It will however deter or kill wood boring insects. I've only sprayed it, so can't speak for brushing on.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/search?q=mit...rome..69i57.1471j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Mites be mites, red, brown, nasty micro tick/spider blood suckers
Right... I'm no pest expert by any means but I found barn lime seems to help. I drop some in the coop close the chicken door and with the man door open use my leaf blower and create a fog close the man door let settle then open the coop door. Seems to work for blood sucking insects. You could also to DE but I found barn lime to be just as good and a lot less expensive. Also add barn lime to their dust bath.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I

have for 9 years used DE and Ash, but when we were building the coop I say red spider mites in the grass :ep

:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck so , FREAK me out , I dont like Um,
Mites are nasty little critters. Try and spread barn lime in grassy areas it helps with fleas, chiggers and ticks also. Plus it'll green up the lawn over time. Barn lime is just powdered lime stone.

Latest posts