Time to move mama out?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, the nuggets are now 6 1/2 weeks old. For the past few days, the mama hen has been wanting to get out of the pen when I opened the gate to feed. I figured she wanted more room and have been planning to start letting them explore more.

Well today, I put some scratch grains down for them like I normally do B4 I left the farm. As I was getting ready to leave the pen, I heard one of the chicks cry out. I looked back and noticed that Mama was not letting the chicks get the grain. Instead, if they got near, she'd peck at them. So, should I open the pen and let her out? Or, should I just start giving them more freedom and leave her in there?

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought, but since she's my first broody, I wasn't quite sure. Figured it was better to be safe than sorry!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Animals are ready to leave momma way sooner than we are....... Some animal mommas are ready for the young to leave way sooner than we are..... :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Well, I let her out this morning-she laid an egg B4 I let her out. But, when I put the chickens away, she wanted back in w/the chicks. But, I think that was only because she was getting picked on by the other hens. When I let her in, all the chicks scattered. I didn't have time to mess w/her, so I've left her in overnight. But tomorrow, she's out for good.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, if she laid an egg, she's finished with the mama chores. My broody has started laying again too and the chicks rarely get close to her anymore. They're all free-ranging now.