Tinkle Tracker

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw the best idea...it's on a Web site for a lighthouse where you can go and be a lighthousekeeper.

http://www.roseislandlighthouse.org/keeper_options.html

Since the lighthouse is located on an island, water conservation is even more important...so they keep a "tinkle tracker" in the bathroom. The gist of it is that 4 tinkles equals a flush. One Number 2 equals a flush. When you tinkle you slide a marker over - if yours is the 4th one...then you flush.

If you go to their Gift Shop link you can see them about half down the page. I think that's pretty cool.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Neat idea! We're on a well and don't waste water if possible (kids make it impossible to say we never waste water). The potty can get a few pees in it without a flushing but a poo in it has to go! I'm afraid my son would go "fishing" for a turd trout if he could! :rolleyes: I don't know how boys survive to manhood ... gross stuff in pockets, climbing furniture, chasing the cat .... argh!!!!

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When we were in Wales, they have these crazy toilets that only flush every other time. The first "flush" is like a half-flush, where just a little water goes in, I guess to dilute the pee. Then the next time you go, it flushes down all the way. This is nasty, but after that second flush, there's hardly any water in the stool, so if you poo in there, it sticks to the side, and you have to flush the toilet a hundred times to get it to go down. We never did figure out those toilets.

The showers have timers and stuff on them. You have to set it to the right heat, then it only runs for so long, or the water turns boiling hot, or something. It's impossible.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
When the title said 'tinkle tracker' the first thing I thought was keeping track of how many times you go! So, I had to check to see! Apparently that IS what this thread is about!!
Where I live we have plenty of water....plus we have well water....so we have never got into the habit of turning or water off or limiting our flushes.
It is obvious to us to when we go to visit family who have city water and have to pay for it because when they wash their dishes they turn the water off in between each dish they rinse.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if water conservation was imperative, like on a lighthouse, yea I would do this.

but I am one for flushing all the time. I can't let it sit, nope, no way. I could not imagine a quest walking into my bathroom and seeing that..LOL-LOL......not like I have guests, HA HA, but I am an all the time flusher. Just me I guess.....gotta have some quirks.

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick, thats not a quirk! Dirty potty is a .... it's a petPeeve! LOL Sorry .... couldn't resist! I'm bad!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Water conservation on a lighthouse seems like an oxymoron....isn't it SURROUNDED by water???

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH MAN!! It IS the grossest thing ever to go to someone's house and they have STUFF in the toilet!! I have a friend whose toilet wasn't working very well, and her kids were not very good about making sure it flushed all the way. I would walk in there, and there would be CORN in the bowl. I'm at school by the way, with a bunch of teenagers. Might explain my sense of humor today. Sorry.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea why not use sea water to flush?? corrode the tank I guess????

I am not a bathroom person....I hate public bathrooms, I kinda don't ever want to be around toilets....LOL....I hate cleaning my own..LOL

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm giggling :D And I accuse my kids and husband of having low-class potty humor!

In our house, "If it's yellow, let it mellow. When it's brown, flush it down."

But, my one chemical in the whole house are bleach tabs in each of the toilet tanks, so that could be why this practice is aromatically tolerable ;)