Tips on Orange Marmalade?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of making some orange marmalade for the holidays. I have never made it before. Any advice or tips or favorite recipes to share?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's really pretty easy. I've used various recipes over the years - sorry, no time to type in my favorite (we are leaving tomorrow morning to visit my family in PA for 10 days, and I am wrestling with eavestrough and barn-nearly-flooding problems, and a horse with an abscess in one hoof), but honestly I've never run across one that came out poorly.

Um, tips? Take the time to cut the peel finely, it's worth it (in looks as well as taste). It's probably best to use organic (unwaxed) oranges if possible. Though honestly I've made a number of batches with waxed nonorganic oranges and it hasn't actually killed me yet :p I've had best luck with recipes where you put a maximal amount of peel and membrane in, sometimes even seeds in a cheescloth sachet (to remove before putting in jars)... those are the places where most of the oranges' pectin is located. Be aware that marmalade sometimes takes a few days for the stuff to finish gelling -- I mean, follow the recipe and try hard to get it to an appropriate gelling point on the stove, but if it seems kinda runny after it's been processed, do not necessarily despair - give it a week and then see what it's like. I don't know why it does this, but it does.

Truly, it's easy, just pick a recipe and follow it :) Have fun! :)

Pat, looking forward to visiting my folks, but as always hating having to be the sole organizing force for the trip :p

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Dace I will be making my first batch tomorrow. My dad loves the stuff & I thought it might be a good inexpensive Christmas gift for him. My recipe says it can take up to 2 weeks to finish setting up, so we will see what happens. Need to get my lemon today to make it with.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace, Here is my contribution to your thread, lol.

Seville Orange Marmalade

12 Seville oranges
4 lemons
4 sweet oranges.
Allow two pints of water and two pounds of granulated sugar to one pound of fruit.

Method.
Wipe the fruit, cut into quarters and remove the pips. Put the pips into a bowl with one pint of the water for a few hours.
Squeeze the juice from the fruit into the remaining water in a large preserving pan. Then cut the fruit into thin slices (I use a mincer) and put into the preserving pan.
Add the water strained from the pips. Press the pips in a sieve - I use a spoon and the jelly from the pips oozes through the sieve into the preserving pan.
Cover the pan with a cloth and leave overnight.
Then boil until the rind is tender, perhaps one hour.
Cover again and allow to soak overnight.
Add the sugar as you heat the marmalade and stir well, bringing to a rolling boil. Boil for about one and a half hours.
Test the marmalade on a cold plate by pushing with a finger. It should wrinkle.
Finally stir well before potting in clean warm jars.

Grapefruit Marmalade

2 medium sized grapefruit
2 pints of water
2 lb sugar
Juice of one lemon.
Method as for Seville orange marmalade.

Three Fruit Marmalade

3 or 4 grapefruit
6 sweet oranges
3 or 4 lemons
(approx. 6lbs of fruit in total)
Method as for Seville orange marmalade.