Toenail Fungus Remedy

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I wanted to share a toenail fungus remedy that I have found that works.
A couple of years ago, I got a toenail fungus some how, and couldn't get rid of it. I refused to take Lamisil, and none of the things advertised as a cure for it, worked. None of them.

So this is what I found that works:

Soak your feet in White Distilled vinegar 5-10 min everyday.

Vicks Vapor rub on your toenails and into your cuticles works as well.

It will take some time; It takes months for it to go away in some cases, but it it well worth it! ( The remedies that are marketed now also claim the same time frame, but they don't work)

I ended up having to alternate the vicks and the vinegar after a while because it seemed like one or the other for too long didn't work. As soon as I alternated the progressed resumed.

I have heard tea tree oil works, but I have not tried it b/c it is much more expensive than vinegar LOL!

I hope this helps someone! This can go away! And you don't have to take potentially organ damaging medication to make it happen!

edited for clarity

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Are you a diabetic, Okie? Just curious. Fungus feeds well off of sugar and its pretty common for folks with hyperglycemia to have toenail fungus, as well as other yeasts and fungal infections.

I have found a good antifungal med that is herbal, for one of my kids who is prone to yeast infections in his sinus passages. Olive leaf extract. Cheap, effective when combined with limiting excess sugars and starches in one's diet. Maybe in conjunction with your treatment, might not take so long? :)

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How long do you have to soak your feet? You didn't say.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Beekissed,

no, I'm not diabetic, but that is an interesting question. I do seem to have sugar problems when I am pregnant, though apparently not bad enough to be classified as having gestational diabetes; just under.

And I notice the difference tremendously when my blood sugar is low even when not pregnant.

ETA: I do eat too much sugar :cool: Working on that.... :p

Sorry coopy, I will go back to change it. 5-10 mins is good. Obviously the longer at a time the better, but ANY amount of exposure to the vinegar is helpful.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Occasional hypoglycemia can be a precursor to diabetes. Ever have an A1C blood test done? Any diabetes in your family? I hope not, its a terrible condition to have.

Yeasts and fungal infections actually make you crave sugar and starches! My son eats alot of pasta and would eat a lot white bread if I actually provided it. As it is, he has a bigger sweet tooth than any of us and happens to be the skinniest! :rant His paternal grandmother had diabetes, so I try to watch his sweets as much as possible.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
. Ever have an A1C blood test done? Any diabetes in your family?
Not sure....I've had blood tests, but I don't know if I had that one. And I don't think anyone on my side had diabetes. I'll have to check into that to be sure. I crave sugar and starches like a CRAZY person. I have to completely alter my diet in order to be able to resist sugar and starches.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm happy to know vinegar works for toenail fungus. I have wondered about that. A while ago I did use teatree oil and it did work but was a pain to apply. I keep vinegar in a spray bottle in the bathroom and use it to spray our underarms when we take a shower. It actually keeps you from smelling bad.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I have discovered the vinegar is a wonder substance in itself. There is a show on BBC America where two British ladies go into really people's disgusting houses and clean it for them. They use vinegar to do the majority of it. I personally don't like the smell, and someone told me that it doesn't smell once it's dry, but I can still smell it. But then, I think skunk spray smells like pencil erasers. :rolleyes: Seriously.

:idunno