Toilet Bowl Cleaner?

Wanabefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, I found this forum a few weeks ago and have taken time absorbing the info and have really enjoyed it.

I made my first batch of laundry detergent and it seems to be working fine. oops, I'm getting off the subject. lol I seem to be drifting more and more after turning 40 lol

Anyway, at one time I used something to take the mineral buildup out of the toilet bowl. It worked really great but I don't remember what it was. (I don't believe it was anything commercial but something common around the house.)
I first thought it was vinegar and gave it a try but that didn't work.

Does anyone have anything that works good? Thanks

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First, welcome. As for toilet cleaning, I've used a pumice stone thingy that I got at the hardware store for tough rings; works like a charm. For general cleaning I use vinegar

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Pumice stone is the only thing that works for me, but I have hard water. Baking soda doesn't work, vinegar isn't strong enough, commercial cleaners are useless. Only that damn stone works. I hate putting my hand in the toilet (even with gloves), but at least the stone is cheap.

Wanabefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've not tried baking soda yet or a Pumice stone. I sure wish I could remember what I used before. It really done a good job.
I may try and experiment some and come up with a miracle cleaner! lol

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We don't have hard water, but we do have well water. The baking soda works for us most times. For really tough stains I put Borax in the bowl and let it sit for an hour and then it usually comes clean with a good scrub.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't compromise on toilet bowl issues.

I use whatever chemical or other means to do the job..LOL

But I am lucky. I got great water, no stains, etc. and just a tad of bleach and vinegar solution works well for me to make all good in the bathrooms.

But if I had to fight terrible problems, I would buy what is needed......just me, I like clean toilets and I would get them anyway I can.

I wished you remembered what the solution was for fixing your problem..natural is best, but I fight those problems as needed and do what I must..LOL

Wanabefarmer

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I found what it was and its not natural but the company does offer a natural cleaner. I don't know if it will do as well as the one I have. (I have an uncle that used to sell their products and gave it to me) Its Watkins Toilet Bowl Cleanser. It made my toilets look like new. It does have a vinegar smell so at least I did remember something correct. :)

This is the active ingredients:
Contains: Hydrogen Chloride 23.00%, N-alkyl (50% C14, 40% C12, 10% C16),Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chlorides 0.05%.Inert Ingredients: 76.95%.Total: 100.00%.

This is the link to the stuff I have, but the label looks different but the ingredients are the same.

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productdetail.cfm?Product=06795&gCatalogLocale=USA

Hope this helps some and if someone tries the natural cleaner post back and let us know how it works.