Tomatillo Salsa (home canned)

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I grew tomatillos one year by accident. There were about 6 plants in with my regular tomatoes. I had fun with them and it exposed me to a new food. I was not going to let those beautiful little things go to waste even though I had never ate them.

Tomatillo Salsa - makes 2 pints
3 pounds tomatillos husked, washed, and finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
2-4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1/4 cup bottled lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons canning salt
1/2 cup of water

Put all ingredients in a sauce pan ring to boil for about 20 minutes. It will thicken and reduce down. Mash with old fashioned potato masher.

Hot pack in hot jars. Leave 1/2 inch head space. Wipe rims. Lid jars. Process in water bath for 15 or 20 minutes. The lemon juice allows you to water bath this.

It's one of my favorite salsas now. And it was all by accident.

tomatillo salsa.jpg

Isn't it beautiful???? It is good tasting also....

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks re: pantry shelves. My labels are cheap and easy to find. The big thing is that they don't leave sticky stuff on the jar when taking it off. You can get any size at walmart.
ccan lables.jpg

labels.jpg

labelsw.jpg

See how they peal on last picture??? No mess on the jar. I keep 1500 jars on my shelves and just can't spend the time on cleaning all the labels off....

Actually I would have bought larger ones for my jars. These were being used for garage sale stickers but I snatched them up then I realized they were coming off the jars clean.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Waretrop thanks for sharing you salsa recipe and your tip on labeling jars.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks - that's a great idea. I usually use an erasable marker to label the date on jars of goat milk - but sometimes it accidentally gets wiped of -f so your stickers are awesome!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks great & love the jars and jars and JARS of food.

I dunno but, looks like we could all eat there for long, long time!! Kudos.

Moon -- you don't need a grocery store, visit the neighbors panty :lol:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks good. I may have to try that. I love really ripe tomatillas raw and right off the plant. Pull off husk and take a bite.

I wonder if the tomatillas are susceptible to late blight like tomatoes. That's mostly why I dont grow tomatoes here. I do have a hoop over one raised bed so I can cover it with plastic and try both this year.

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I may have to try them right off the vine. I just never thought of doing that. They are also in the night shade family so they very well may get blight.