Tomatoes!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am not a talented gardener. I have never had luck with tomatoes and all I want is some sauce for pasta and pizza! This year I've finally got thriving tomato plants. So. Who has recipes? And what's the best way to keep my tomatoes until I have enough to make a batch?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes? What's that?

I've made salsa, but never any other type of sauce so I'm no help!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol! We eat a lot of pizza... Lol

How do you make salsa? Wonder if I have enough for that too... I need a mild salsa though.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you are going to make sauce, then you can just wash the tomatoes, quarter, and freeze them until you have enough for the recipe. I do this all the time, actually, I pull out a lot of the seeds when I quarter them. For making sauce, the tomatoes are heated to a boil, smashed, then run through a sieve to remove the skins and seeds, and then seasoned and cooked down to get the consistency you want. Freezing will help to release the skins and juice better.

You need a recipe though for canning, to make sure you use enough Citric Acid or lemon juice so it doesn't spoil. my recipe for canned tomatoes says skin the tomatoes (dip in boiling water for 30 seconds, then ice bath and the skins peal right off). Place 1/4 tsp ctric acid powder or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the hot jar before adding tomatoes to 1/2 inch headspace. 1/2 teaspoon salt on top, if you want. Process in Boiling Water Bath for 35 minutes for pints.

For salsa, there are seasoning packs available in the store that are pretty good. Mrs. Wages is the brand I am used to seeing, and it is pretty good. There are some pretty good salsa recipes out on the web also.

This is the first year I am going to have enough tomatoes to actually can something. I am going to can some Diced Tomatoes and some Tomato Sauce . I may be able to can some Tomato juice also, and I have a recipe for "Meatloaf Topper" that I want to try. If all goes well, I will try canning a Sloppy Joe Sauce also. I have 15 tomato plants that are loaded with green tomatoes right now. I have 12 lbs of tomatoes in the freezer waiting to become sauce. My BALL BOOK OF CANNING recipe calls for 20 lbs of tomatoes to make 7 Quarts of sauce.

My question is: do I can it in quarts or pints? There are only 2 of us in the house, so quarts may be over kill. However, I have a million quart jars downstairs to use and am starting to run low on pint jars.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My question is: do I can it in quarts or pints? There are only 2 of us in the house, so quarts may be over kill. However, I have a million quart jars downstairs to use and am starting to run low on pint jars.

I think that kind of answers yourself :)

Maybe put the salsa, meatloaf topping in pint or 1/2 pint. I find that I can use a quart of tomatoes pretty easily over a couple day span. They are fine in the frig for that. In winter it seems there's always a "pot of something" going every day or two and I love tomatoes. Even just heated with a little basil, oregano, garlic...nice side. I've even drained a couple tablespoons of diced and thrown onto a salad. Fresher taste than hothouse, even if a little wetter. :drool

You can see how it goes and adjust next years canning. I like jellies, etc. in 1/2 pint so I can eat that & get another flavor :D You will find your balance.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Last year I bought a case of 1/2 gallon canning jars, lol. Not for really for canning, but I wanted one for the Cherry Bounce that I made. The other 5 are destined for my craft shed. I am sure I will find a use for them there - even if they only hold buttons - I love buttons! Maybe use one for making mom's sweet chunk pickles, mom made hers in a big crock on the basement but I don't have a big crock..

I will only buy pint jars from now on. Or those cute little 1/2 pints. I like those to give out samples of new recipes to my sisters - I gotta teach them to return them though.
I am the only one in my family who puts up canning. My big sister cans venison, but that is because her husband is a hunter and they have 2 freezers that are always full. My mom canned every summer/fall, but we really never helped much aside from staying out of the way. Oh, we carried empty jars up from the basement and washed them. Big help from 3 little girls, but we were young when she passed after 2 years battling cancer so it really wasn't in-grained in us to put up for winter.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My actual canning is purely self taught by books. My love of it is from my grandparents who fed large families with home raised veggies & meats raised or hunted. My favorite place was the cellar....what a beautiful sight with full shelves of colorful food. My family has always been $ careful, frugal. I was an only child but parents are from homes with 7 & 8 kids. Yeah, gardens & hunting a MUST. In those days, no jobs or transportation like now. It was 920s & 30s.

My mom canned when she was at home but, once gone, not so much. Always brought home from visits, empty jars back next trip. :) For grands it was a way of life and a must do. I like to can. Lot of work but rewarding.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I no longer can plain tomato sauce. I dehydrate the tomato slices and grind them up into powder. You can then mix with water to make exactly how much you need. If you need tomato paste instead of sauce, add less water. If you want tomato juice, add more. Easy Peasy!

I do still can salsa, because you want all the flavors to cook together.