Tornado Drills and Where to Go?

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We've had a TON of severe weather in the last 2 weeks. Thus far, the tornado sirens one town over have gone off 2 times and our own has gone off once. We are on the side of town that can hear both sirens and I think that is good as our small town seems to be delayed when responding to that kind of thing and more often than not they do not do anything at all. Obviously, this is something to be concerned about as a parent of small children.

In our house, we have two options neither of which is truly ideal. Option 1: go into the crawlspace of the house. We have spiders... big spiders... the black widow kind. Some of the things I worry about is how far in are you supposed to go and I don't trust the house not to fall in on us if we were to be hit. That leaves us with Option 2: the only interior space in the whole house, my closet. I'm more partial to this as the kids can get into it by themselves and there aren't spiders. The closet is a wide one and there is an awkward space that seems to be somewhat suitable. The space is roughly 22" by 42", extends all the way to the ceiling and has nothing hanging over it. Immediately to the left of the void is a double closet door that is never opens and has one of those latches at the top. Next to that, immediately in front of the door that IS used is my dresser. Here are a couple of pictures for a better idea. Please, pardon the mess.

946_015.jpg

946_016.jpg

946_017.jpg

I want to do drills with the kids but the only thing I can think of is to have them grab their pillows (or mine) and go into the space until mommy or daddy come and get them. Is there something else I should be teaching them? The ones we used to have in high school consisted of going out into the hallway and covering your heads.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
That seems the best place, they say an interior room with no windows or closet space.

We luckily have a basement, with tv and couches, a couple of beds too. (we were in there for almost 2 hours on Monday due to tornado warnings)

I worry about the kids when they're in school - they have no place in the school for the kids to go so they have to all cross the street past a couple of houses and go into a church and its basement - seems like a really crazy idea.
The high school here has a basement, so I can't wait for my kids to get old enough! :gig

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I got this email a while back about earthquake safety. Some of this guy's tips are disputed, but i found some if it very interesting, even though i am also in tornado/hurricane country.

I am linking to the truthorfiction.com page because there you can read the email and the disputes.

The main thing i think i can take from it, specifically for kids, is to get in the fetal position if possible.

You might find this interesting reading.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/triangle-of-life.htm

I think that closet looks like a great spot, by the way. I don't have any rooms like that in my house.