Totally Fed Up with ATT

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For about 3 weeks, when I turn on my wifi on my Ipad, my SSID would ahow up twice in available networks. 🙄Once in My Networks, and once in available. 😦
When I automatically connected to my wifi, it would say weak security. Id check and it says its WEP. its not supposed to be that. I check the settings online. Nothing is changed.
So ATT comes out, sets me up a new router. Think everything is ok. Not an hour after the technician left, the same thing started showing up. Two SSIDs, weak security, same crap as the other router.
Ive had the other router for years and its worked fine til a few weeks ago. I get a brand new one and its doing the same thing?
I dont know whats going on. Our electric company is running 5g out here but it wont be available til late this fall.
Guess I'll be calling ATT tomorrow and complaining. Again.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In the process of getting the electric at the new house in my name, I also got with them about the fiber optic line and the internet service.... paid my deposit and they have already marked the place it will come to the house....all within a week of closing on the house!!!!! I am so done with the service here at the house I have been renting, getting worse and worse. It is through the phone line, and since no one has landlines anymore, they old phone lines are getting in such bad shape and they won't put in new ones because no one has landlines anymore. Been a vicious battle to even have internet service - DSL - for work. Can't wait to have better at the new house.... So I will go to the new house to use the internet just as soon as it gets hooked up, then I can stop paying here at the rental for that. Can't wait to get some more done so that I can start moving some of the stuff. It is going to be tough waiting on the bathroom tub/shower to get replaced. And we are going to have to make the one door bigger, because nothing will fit going in or coming out from getting rid of the old..... Toilet and sink work, but no shower.... and believe me, after a session in the barn milk testing and getting splattered with cow s#@t.... you want and need a shower....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I suspected one of your camera was configured incorrectly back in post #9. But glad it working now.

I would look into getting a Verizon 4GLTE wireless modem. Mine has unlimited voice & data and is solid as a rock. I've had zero issues with it and the cool thing is I can unplug it take anywhere in the USA I want as long as Verizon has coverage in that area it comes up and your ready to rock and roll. Verizon has the largest 4GLTE network out of all the wireless providers.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just found out that the 5g that the electeic company is installing will not just offer internet, but tv and phone! :weeeOnce I see the prices I may get the tv and internet package. :flMy cell is thru AT&T but might lower my plan once I can get internet here. Right now I have both thru them but if this works better(hope, hope) that will be dropped like a hot potatoe! :celebrate

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CEMC was out here yesterday hooking up my neighbors next door for the internet they are offering. I called today to get set up for mine, too. Cant wait! Right now Im getting 3mbs. With this new internet I'll get 250mbs for the same price Im paying for the crap I have now. Goodbye, ATT!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For about 3 weeks, when I turn on my wifi on my Ipad, my SSID would ahow up twice in available networks. 🙄Once in My Networks, and once in available. 😦
When I automatically connected to my wifi, it would say weak security. Id check and it says its WEP. its not supposed to be that. I check the settings online. Nothing is changed.
So ATT comes out, sets me up a new router. Think everything is ok. Not an hour after the technician left, the same thing started showing up. Two SSIDs, weak security, same crap as the other router.
Ive had the other router for years and its worked fine til a few weeks ago. I get a brand new one and its doing the same thing?
I dont know whats going on. Our electric company is running 5g out here but it wont be available til late this fall.
Guess I'll be calling ATT tomorrow and complaining. Again.

If your worried about someone spying on your network, why not try WPA2? WPA2, is an improvement on WEP and is expected to replace, the original Wi-Fi security standard, WEP.

I have security off completely on my WiFi because ain't no one close enough to me to pick the signal. Except when your in my house. Occasionally I might get signal in the shop but it's iffy... My house sits back far enough off the road that ain't no one gonna get a signal. It's pretty handy when I get visitors then don't need a password

For my work PC, I'm hardwired Ethernet. and have wifi completely off, so that's pretty darn secured. I shut the router of when I'm done with work and turn it on when I go to work only so I can VPN into the corporate network and do my work.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Of course -- I don't understand a lot of the tech stuff you guys bring on BUT -- I do understand lack of service :D My ONLY option is satellite & you know how that goes. Yep, even report of rain coming & it dies. Being rural, not enough consumers to bring in much more. If the electric co-op offered service, I'd sure try it!

Absolutely, since the lockdown and work from home crap, the service is slower -- hard to imagine! -- and I can't see improvements coming. My daughter totally dropped all but the smart phone service and uses a "hot spot" -- what ever that is. LOL. thru the phone. Me -- no smart phone.

Between the phone service and the satellite fees....I may be paying as much as what she gets on just "phone service" BUT--there's the cost of a smart phone that's smarter than me.

Heck, I just figured out how to get to a set-up on my tablet that I couldn't before -- totally by accident! :celebrate:old

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back in 2006, when we moved out to Wyoming I called to get the phone hooked up. They wanted $63/month just for us to have a dial tone at the house. After adding on a calling plan - free local calls and 0 minuets of long distance - the charge would have been $89. With a reasonable amount of long distance calls it would have been $160 per month. Looking at the bill, I saw that the Federal Government was paying them another $36 per month for me to be hooked up because we were rural.
That is why I have a cell phone.

We just got hooked up to Cellcom (or something like that) for our internet service. It runs through the phone line, but it works better than the Hughes Net that we were paying over $100 more for. It still runs slow during peak times, but DH has been working from home and Hughes Net was not working at all for him so he was using his phone to Hot Spot. He was in heaven the one day I forgot my phone at home and he got to hot-spot on my phone for video conference/working online and answer phone calls on his. Talking on the phone without loosing connection with the computer was a huge deal for him. Now he can work on the computer and still have his phone available for phone stuff. Like playing music on the blue-tooth speaker. lol.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm like @Mini Horses , it is all "greek" to me. I don't have a smart phone either. I keep thinking I might get one... then I keep hearing about all the stuff it can track, and I get paranoid and say no way. I just don't know. I am going to have to upgrade my flip phone though.... it is ANCIENT and they say it won't work one of these days.....
Most of the "younger" farmers will use the hot spot with the phone so I can sent the data off their computers to the computer center in Raleigh NC.... no need for a "hard hookup like my DSL.... I just don't really want to get so wound up with all this fancy stuff but it would be nice to be able to get connected sometimes to things without being at the mercy of the weather, or the number of people on the internet.... or anything.