Towels not absorbing

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
According to how I make the dry, I would say that your rtios ore off, and that might be casusing the problem (IDK, just throwing it out there) this is the recipe I use, and have no problems.

Washing Powder
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
1 cup colour safe bleach-optional
1 bar laundry soap.
Thanks! That will stretch my Fels Naptha out too. I hate grating that stuff!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I use Miss_the North's recipe, too, and haven't noticed a problem. When you add vinegar to the rinse, do the clothes smell like vinegar? I use it on my hair as a rinse, but didn't think to try it on the clothes. I can just imagine the reaction, though, if all the towels smelled like vinegar! :lol:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have never noticed the smell of vinegar on the clothes. I only use vinegar in the summers for line drying, I find it helps soften them.

Btw, I have been line drying for two weeks now--yay spring!!!!!!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been using vinegar for a good long while now - whether using the dryer or the line and have never noticed a vinegar smell.

I like it much better than the fabric softeners at the store - they always put "grease spots" on my clothes. I could never figure out where they were coming from....until I bought two shirts exactly alike only different colors.

Did one load with store bought softeners - the last of it - and then switched to vinegar for the next load the other shirt was in(I was already planning on this change due to it being a cheaper option).

The shirt with the store bought softener had a "grease spot" and the vinegar one didn't. I stopped using the store bought stuff and have never had another "grease spot".

They weren't black like a normal grease spot...more like I had gotten veggie oil or something on it - but it wasn't greasey - just looked darker - like it was still wet, and splotchy...but ruined the shirts for anything but around the house.

I love the vinegar! and, it will get that soup residue from commercial detergents out of your washing machine tub.