1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Using Greywater/Graywater- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

toxic masculinity

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CrealCritter, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mar 13, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

Recently I've been hearing a new term
    toxic masculinity - what does this mean anyways?

2. Mar 13, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

I went looking......
    Now there is an actual catchy term for what used to be considered being a jerk or A-hole. I haven't heard this catchy phrase, but I bet it isn't long before the liberal media blames Toxic Masculinity for just about anything men do. Who knows? It might be even be classified as a disease and spin off a flurry of research, experimental drugs, and finally, the utopia cure in a pill.

Toxic masculinity
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    The concept of toxic masculinity is used in psychology and sociology to describe certain traditional male norms of behavior in the United States and Europe that are associated with harm to society and to men themselves. Such "toxic" masculine norms include the traits of dominance, devaluation of women, extreme self-reliance, and the suppression of emotions.

Traditional stereotypes of men as socially dominant, along with related traits such as misogyny and homophobia, can be considered "toxic" due to their promotion of violence, including sexual assault and domestic violence. Other stereotypically masculine traits, such as self-reliance and the stifling of emotions, are correlated with increased psychological problems in men such as depression, increased stress, and substance abuse.

The socialization of boys often normalizes violence, such as in the saying "boys will be boys" with regard to bullying and aggression. Toxic masculine traits are characteristic of the unspoken code of behavior among men in American prisons, where they exist in part as a response to the harsh conditions of prison life.

"Toxic" masculine traits are contrasted with more traditionally positive masculine traits such as devotion to work, pride in excelling at sports, and providing for one's family. The concept of toxic masculinity was originally used by authors associated with the mythopoetic men's movement in contrast to a "real" or "deep" masculinity that they say men have lost touch with in modern society.

for more of this depressing crap.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_masculinity

3. Mar 13, 2018
    CrealCritter

Thanks Bay - what a bunch of crap...

Beekissed and baymule like this.
  4. Mar 13, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

sounds like it was coined by some libtard man hater..... if my opinion offends anybody, then just stop reading this.......

I will say that there are some seriously messed up men out there, but there are some seriously messed up women out there too. Why no "Toxic Femininity" moniker for them?

Beekissed likes this.
  5. Mar 13, 2018
    CrealCritter

Hey, if your jacked up, your jacked up - male or female, it don't matter your still jacked up.

It's kind of like what I say to my kids when they hesitate to try something new. If your scared, say your scared. Same thing here... If your jacked up, say your jacked up.

baymule, Beekissed and NH Homesteader like this.
  6. Mar 13, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

Having been through an abusive marriage, I am nodding my head as I read that. And appreciating my non-toxic masculine DH :love

7. Mar 13, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I think it's good. The stereotype of feminists as man-hating needs to die. This is a way to appreciate men and all their weird stinky testosterone driven strange manliness, and separate that from men who are abusive and violent.

8. Mar 13, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

There are feminists that are man haters that perpetuate that stereotype for the rest of the decent feminists. I am not a feminist, to me a feminist thinks women are superior to men. Does that mske me a humanist? I don't know. The labels exhaust me. Instead of "toxic masculinity" why can't we just say, don't be a jerk?

baymule and tortoise like this.
  9. Mar 13, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Excuse me???? Since when is self reliance and not being a cry baby considered a BAD thing? Who wants a overly dependent male who can't do anything for himself??? Especially one that's going to cry about it? Didn't they used to call that being a mama's boy?

:he

baymule likes this.
  10. Mar 13, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I look at it as not having been taught manners, consideration, equality, appreciation and self control.

Personally, I have always had a pleasant relationship with men, in general. Nothing toxic. OK, my son had some "bad" days as a teen but I advised him he was acting like an aggressive roo and he should remember what happened to them at our farm! NOT tolerated. :old

baymule, Britesea, sumi and 1 other person like this.