1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Solutions for a pecker - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

tractor for 5-acre homestead

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by k15n1, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Sep 10, 2012
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

We're looking to buy (already made an offer) on a 5-acre plot and I'm researching tractors because I'll need one right away. So far, I've been advised that live hydraulics and PTO are recommended. Any suggestions? I have to keep it under 4,500 $, but I'll have another 1,000 $ for implements. And I live in MN, where there are winter temperatures and hydraulics are needed, even when it's cold out.

2. Sep 10, 2012
    Boogity

Boogity Almost Self-Reliant

$4500 is going to be very limiting for a multi-purpose tractor. These things are so darned expensive it's crazy. In my opinion, for 5 acres you would want a 20 to 25 HP with a 54" to 60" mid-mount mower and a front end loader. I'm a firm believer in "buy American" but, dog-gone-it, the Japanese models are so nice. Expensive but nice. JD, Ford, New Holland, Ferguson, and many other common name brands are mostly made in China these days. I presently own a 26 HP Kubota and that little sucker was over $13k five years ago. That's outrageous.

If I were you I would be looking at older Ford, Ferguson, Case/IH, Farmall, and JD tractors with live PTO and front end loader. All of the tractors in the 20 to 30 HP range have the same design cat-1 three point hitch and rear PTO so implements are easily interchangeable.

In 1989 I bought a 1952 Harry Ferguson TO-30 and used it for 20 years. With careful upkeep the older tractors are very reliable and excellent workhorses. I sold my TO-30 in 2008 and it was like new.

Good luck.

3. Sep 10, 2012
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I agree w/looking for an older tractor. Sometimes you can even find the one you want w/all the attachments for cheap. Keep an eye out on CL, TSC, etc and see what you can find.

4. Sep 10, 2012
    mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy Power Conserver

Our tractor is either a '57 or '58 Ford model 800. Was used when Pa bought it. Dependable, and we used to farm around 30 acres. Now only a couple and hardly ever use it. I "think" it is rated at 15 HP.

You can find them around here in running, good shape but not restored for around $2,500 up to $5,000.

I sold one at a farm auction this spring in great condition with a disc, cultivator, bush-hog, box blade and a hay fork for $4,000.

5. Sep 11, 2012
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

I'm also in the market to buy a tractor and my price range demands it to be used. I thought I had one that would fit my bill, but the owner decided not to sell, as of yet. I may be considering buying the 'tractor' parts that you can attach to the back of 3 and 4 wheelers. I'd need a bushhog and a tiller/plower type attachment....and of course the 4 wheeler, which I figure I could get a lot easier than a tractor.
    Has anyone gone that route?

6. Sep 11, 2012
    k15n1

I'm anxious about toy implements. Anyway, a utility type quad isn't cheap either.

7. Sep 11, 2012
    Boogity

rhoda_bruce - I tried that for several years out at the hunting shack. In my opinion it works but the implements are typically light duty and some do not do a very good job. Especially a plough or cultivator. Also my ATV was an automatic (like most) and it would not go slow enough enough for our 54" tag-along mower. I had to give it enough gas to get it moving but then I had to keep it moving pretty fast or else it would stop. It was too fast for grass cutting - especially tall grass.

8. Oct 17, 2012
    k15n1

I ended up getting a 1954 Ford NAA, which is rated for 27 HP at the drawbar and about 30 at the PTO/belt [1]. Turns out there's a vibrant community of enthusiasts who use and restore these old Ford tractors. There's lots of parts and knowledge out there, which makes it a good tractor for us SS folks.

Implements are expensive. For a 6' disc harrow or 2-bottom plow it'll cost me 500-1000 each, depending on if I buy used or new. Even used stuff is expensive. And transportation is an issue...

1. http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/1/219-ford-naa.html

9. Oct 17, 2012
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

That's the type of tractor I first learned to drive. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them.

10. Oct 17, 2012
    Boogity

Oh man! You're gonna fall in love. The NAA is a wonderful workhorse. I'm happy for you. yesterdaystractors.com is a great site with lots of information.