TRAPPING

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hubby caught a fox. After days and days of trying. He used beef tallow. He was very excited.
None of the online articles and magazine articles tell you how to dispatch the animal once you have caught them. He is going to have to work on that aspect.
He will be tanning this one as it is his first. I will keep ya'll posted on the tanning my hide thread.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
why trouble dispatching?
I don't know at all, but wouldn't you just make a clean shot and be done? Or? I don't know..LOL

good job. foxes are smart. they know the tricks big time! You got a fox tail now! COOL

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do not do much trapping. When I do trap a 22 pistol with a CB short is my choice dispatching tool.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Congrats to your DH on getting a fox!! Can't wait to see the finished hide!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FC, when you use a leg hold trap, you have to finish the job. And it isnt easy.
Hubby has a pistol, and the same kind of ammo 1acrefarm.
We didnt think we would need it so we left it at home...We had to leave the animal, come home, grab the camera and gun, go back out. When we got out there, he took a few pics and then tried to finished the job.
Most wild animals in a trap will try to get away, til the very end. The fox would face AWAY from OH every time he would attempt to get in front of him to take the shot. He finally gave up and put the gun about three inches away from the back of the head and pulled the trigger. The fox continued to try and get away. We felt so bad. OH repeated the above procedure except closer. This time the fox died within about 7 minutes.
OH and I have decided: a big stick with a notch carved into the middle of it so we can each get on an end and pin the animals head so he can end it.
Yea, PP, I cant wait to see it either seeing as how I have a inkling of an idea that he was part of the reason mine didnt turn out!

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I hunt and run a trapline here in Missouri. I dispatch with a 22 pistol but I have hollow points and try to take a shot that will do the job quickly. Darn possums wont die though!! (seems like it anyway!!)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea roos
that makes sense. animal is caught, you get close to take the shot and the stupid thing twists and turns to avoid you...makes sense it not being easy.

and that is smart.....a notch to hold the head down and take aim.

yea I don't like seeing things suffer even if I know I am going to shoot them....lol....but I like everything to be done fast.....and it is less bad for everyone involved.

I know what you mean! :)

but ---- you got a fox tail!!! :)

I always wanted my own fox tail! :)