Trash..the new "renewable energy resource"

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We all know there are way too many landfills in the USA. And probably all over the world. Some places....Recycle is just a word. Not as many communities utilize as it could be. and what about glass recycle? I remember, back in the 80's, glass was recycled. Not any more.
DH was looking at a topic online and came across this site. It is just food for thought. I don't think USA is up to that standard yet...nationally...recycling trash for energy.

http://www.thermoselect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Verfahrensbeschreibung&m=2

We are most of us in here striving for more self sufficiency, frugal living, off grid, less waste lifestyles. Yet, our culture at present, encourages more and more waste. Just look at the cell phone industry. Mountains of used phones, with no place to go.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Any one fluent in German? I tried to read it, but it's been too many years. :/

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My page came up with a translator. Must be the chrome browser. If I need to, I can delete the post.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I looked again. If you go to home, you can click on it in English.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ahh..thanks deb. DH sent me the link.....from where he was at in reading it. I just thought it was some good food for thought. I know I try to reduce waste here at home. All kinds. Packaging, water waste, trash waste, any waste. We are down to one bag per week for the dump. And that is for the whole house. I also use their recycle options there....newspaper, plastics, cardboard...and household trash. Speaking of which, I have been trying to get to the dump since last Friday. Hauling around newspapers (from his folks), plastic bottles, and now 2 bags of trash. :th

I hate that I have to buy the bottles for now, but I will be drinking cranberry juice till I pass the kidney stone. Normally, I only drink milk, tea, water, and sometimes a V8. But now, cranberry juice is part of my daily regimen. 14 oz mixed with 22 oz water. Daily. Yuk. I cannot stand juice...too sweet.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I try to reduce waste, too. But, I can't quite get hubby on board w/it.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So many don't even see it. Like not seeing the forest for the trees. We both here are very frugal and trying to reduce consumption of goods. It's just too bad we can't acquire any further of the acreage around us. We are pretty much locked in. So, we have to make do with what we have..as far as livestock and gardens.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our convenience center takes clear, green, brown glass. Glass is still recycled. Missing why you think it isn't recycled?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Because every place I have lived for the last few years does not recycle glass. I have looked it up online....numerous times. There are always plenty of glass jars to recycle..but not that many places do it anymore ..or offer it to community recycling plans. The past few years meaning 15 years now. Kansas, Missouri, now SC. When I lived down in Biloxi/Gulfprt MS, early 90's...glass was part of their recycling program.

I just went and did another search for SC. 3 came up...all over 100 miles away from us. Unless we are going to those areas, we would be wasting gas to take the glass there.

Here is my local county solid waster recycle sites.

http://www.tcswa.org/recycling/what.php

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is interesting they are not taking glass-- huh

I checked your site and they have contact available. I would be emailing and asking WHY no glass at these sites?
it will be interesting to see what response you get.

yea I would not be travelling far to recycle glass also. who can afford to do that? not me :/