Treadle sewing machine

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone else have one?

I was in an antique/secondhand store over the weekend, and they had four for sale - a Singer, a White, one with an Italian name, but made in Japan, and another with just letters and numbers but no name. All about the same price (150 - 200 dollars). I have always wanted a treadle for some reason, though I have never used one. I learned to sew on my mother's Singer Featherweight, and loved that machine, but of course it was electric. I just love the looks of the old machines. Modern machines may do more, but they have lost the elegance of the older models. So I thought about it for awhile, and succumbed :D. I chose the Singer, assuming that parts etc. would be easier to find. After a bit of internet research I find that my "new" machine was built in 1906, and, indeed, parts, and manuals, are relatively easy to find. In fact, I was able to print out the user's manual from the internet. It needs a bit of clean up, and oiling, but appears to be all there. There were no accessories included, but there are four long, skinny bobbins.

I have had a very basic model electric machine from Montgomery Ward for the last 30+ years. It still does its job, and I won't be tossing it away, but it has no decorative value whatsoever. I am really looking forward to getting to know the Singer. (This is really basic - it only goes forward, no reverse)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Oh, you bought an OLD one. We have one of the NEWER models, a 1909. :lol: Kidding aside, my wife loved using the thing, but an accident during our move from Louisiana to Arkansas destroyed the wooden case. We still have the machine and the treadle base, though.

My grandmother knew how much my wife liked the old Singer, and when she died, she left hers to my wife. It is one of the early conversions to electric, made at the end of WWII. We are still on the lookout for either another case for the old one, or a whole unit. I'm also pretty sure that I could just make table type top for the treadle base that we have and mount the machine on it, if we don't find an actual replacement.

Congratulations of your "new" machine. They are an amazing combination of craftsmanship and art. As the old adage goes, "They don't make 'em like that anymore".

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I learned to sew on a treadle machine. It was a "Pfaff", German company. My mother sewed most of our clothes on it. I would love to get a treadle machine. Not much goes wrong with them and they do what needs to be done, some good basic stitching.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have one, but it needs a new belt... it was my great grandmother's... I'd have to look at the name of it, I can't remember.

She used to ball up all her thread ends (you know those little pieces you clip off after you're done sewing) and she made a big ball of them... that ball and all her little bits and bobs are still in the drawer of the wooden cabinet. I love that machine, and even though I sew on my electric one... I'll keep this one forever. If TSHTF, I have a way to sew clothes without electricity. :)

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
No reverse = no backstitch. :hu You can secure the stitches at the beginning and end of a seam by using the smallest stitch length for about 3 to 5 stitches. You can also leave a 3 or 4 inch tail of thread and use the upper and lower threads to tie an over hand knot at the beginning and end of the seam. :clap I bet it's a beautiful machine!:love

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had one that I got at a yard sale for $75. An old black singer that was absolutely beautiful from 1912 I think. At the same yardsale I got a 1920's kneebar operated electric one for $25. They were both ruined in the tornado. Both worked prior to that. the cases on both were ruined and with no place to put it the treadle sat in the rain for over a week and rusted badly. Out of everything we lost I was most upset over those two things. Last week I found another kneebar operated machine identical to the one I lost for $65. If we hadn't been counting pennies i would have definately gotten it. I have a strange attraction to antique sewing machines. They are almost like old friends with their own personalities.
Here is a link to one on that is identical to the one I had that died.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Singer-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aa6dd08e

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can backstitch by turning the piece and stitching forward. If what you are working on can be turned. Most things can, with a little grunting and pushing.... :p

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rebecca100 - that looks like a nice machine; I'm so sorry that you lost the two in the tornado (and, no doubt, so much more :()

Old S&S and free - yes, that was what I was thinking, just tighten up the first stitches, or turn everything around. Or handknot the ends. If I wanted efficient I wouldn't be so thrilled about getting the treadle :lol:.

My mother's Feathrweight just did straight stitch, though it did have reverse :). My Montgomery Ward machine does zigzag, as well as several decorative stitches. I have never needed any of the decorative stitches, and zigzag mostly just for buttonholes. I am a very basic sewer, don't need a lot of frills - though I have done some rather nice things with just a straight stitch (my prom dress was quite beautiful). Unless the electricity goes out for good this one probably won't get a lot of use. But one thing I'm weird about - if I am going to have something like this, it has to work! No matter how pretty I cannot find space for a purely decorative sewing machine, just to be used as a table, or dust catcher :lol:

This link shows what my "new" machine looks like. The case is like in the top picture (though the top opens out to make a larger surface to the left of the machine). The second picture shows model #27, which is what I have. I've been extra busy lately, so haven't had a chance to really get to know the machine yet. I'm hoping that things will be quieter around here by next weekend.
http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/page19.html

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have an old Singer upstairs that I have been meaning to get to and play with more AND we have a second treadle at our lake cabin that works like a charm!

By the way... you can still by the belts at Lehman's !

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You can also make the belts out of a round piece of leather.

When the rubber belt broke on mine, I called around and a very nice gentleman at the local sewing machine store made one for me and gave it to me. He said anyone that kept an old singer treadle in working order deserved a free belt.

It is just stapled together at the end pretty much the same way the old rubber belt was.