Truck ladder rack -- farm use?

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi all. Just found this site and it looks wonderful. Glad to be here!

I found a ladder rack for a Chevy truck on free Craigslist this morning just up the road, so we went and picked it up. My plan was to use it for a frame for a tractor for growing out meat rabbit kits.

It's a great size, but really heavy and will take some tweaking of the frame (and some heavy-duty wheels!) to make a rabbit tractor. So I'm thinking -- I wonder if there's a better way to use it?

Any ideas? We have rabbits and various poultry (laying hens, broiler chickens, guineas, geese, ducks). Larger animals too but I think it's too small to be useful for them unless I can turn it into a chute.

Doesn't have to be animal use either. And we can modify it -- have the ability to cut, weld, etc.

So ... Any suggestions? :). Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
No ideas but am :caf to see who comes up with something great.

:welcome

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!!! I think the trick is to change it into something you REALLY need. Then at least it will be useful. :D

gina

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I think I would sell it, take the money and build a chicken/rabbit tractor to better fit your needs. Just might be someone out there that really needs a ladder rack for a Chevy truck. If you only get $50.00 for it, your that much farther ahead!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, for the welcomes and the ideas. :)

It's funny, I actually thought of using it for a goat shelter. I'm just not sure it's tall enough for them. I have some young bucks that need their own space soon but by the time they are grown they'll have to duck and squeeze in.

It's really too strong for small animals. I'm going to postpone weaning the kits a little longer and make a suitable cage for them.

Selling it is a great idea, but I was afraid the people who gave it to me might be upset to see it for sale. I'm afraid it's too late anyway since I mentioned that I wouldn't be needing the doubled-up railing on the back so that one ended up being removed although I didn't expect it. So it's no longer a ladder rack.
Too bad I don't keep pigs. I think it would be good for them.

I'll rethink it for the goats. I do need something sturdy for them and I won't be moving their shelter around.

Thanks again!

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... I'm glad you mentioned that. I WAS thinking of covering it as is for one but it would only be a couple feet high. But I could flip it over ... Maybe I can use it as a frame for lower walls and build a lighter frame for the actual greenhouse cover.

It's probably too large and too low for the goats. I had scrapped the greenhouse idea but maybe that CAN work.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!