Turkey first aid advice needed

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went out this morning and my Bourbon Red tom (named Jerry) had a very swollen face and it is covered in blood. There is blood on the roost as well. My Narragansett tom (named Toast) has some dried blood & what looks like a few peck marks.
I can't find any traces of a fight with an outside predator around the run fence, so i have to think the toms fought each other.
I separated Jerry so no one can pick at him, but it looks like his eyes were pecked - he acts like he's not seeing very well.
Is there any thing I can put on his face or eyes to make him feel better? Plain Neosporin maybe? Some cold, damp washcloths to reduce the swelling?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can you handle him? Will he let you gently wash his face with warm water? Thats what I would do...if possible. Get off all the blood especially around the eyes. Sounds like a Tom fight for sure. Probably pecking while on the roost. Can you put another roost in there to get them away from each other? Im not sure about the neosporin, seems lots of people use it..I dont. Warm compress...clear the blood, and make sure they ( he) has plenty fresh water. Good luck with him...I hope his eyes are not gone.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! He managed to find the waterer and drink so he can still see something. He was wildly unhappy about the washcloth touching his face. I'll give him another hour or two to calm down and try again.
The other tom is on Craigslist.....he's history.