Turkeys about breeding time

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My turkey Tom has started to display over the last few days. I think he's saying "come on ladies it's time to breed". I had my excess roosters and turkeys together. My wife and I separated them and I hay'ed them in. Now they are all alone in their own pen - let the egg laying begin :)

Turkeys, the hens started laying the middle of January last year. But this year it's a lot colder than last year.
IMG_20180204_145914655.jpg

A few excess roosters for eats - the others are in the coop up the ramp. Roosters play pretty nice together as long as there's no hens to fight over.
IMG_20180204_145859947.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My turkeys usually start in February. My Tom is young and dumb. I sure hope he figures it out early in the season so I have butcher ready birds by Thanksgiving! He has been displaying for a while though so one can hope.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
mmmmmm turkey!

I want turkey but they are WAY too proud of them. $$$$$

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
mmmmmm turkey!

I want turkey but they are WAY too proud of them. $$$$$

When my hens start laying, I'll send you some eggs to hatch. They both laid big clutches last year i think between the two hens, I had almost 50 eggs. Both times at the end of winter and late spring.

I like this breed and would really like it if you would raise them and eat some (for the sake of the Bourbon Red breed). I honestly can say the Tom's bake into the best Thanksgiving turkey we've ever eat. They are delicious and the soup we make with the leftovers is also delicious.

Don't worry about the $, I'll hook you up.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Awwww, CC....your meaty roosters want some hay too!!! :( Look to be nice size for butchering soon! Your turkeys are gorgeous, BTW.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awwww, CC....your meaty roosters want some hay too!!! :( Look to be nice size for butchering soon! Your turkeys are gorgeous, BTW.

I try hard to take care of my birds (although I admit sometimes it's hard to stay motivated, sometimes) untill someone like you says how well they look :) Thank You!

i give them 1 cap full of Bragg's ACV per gallon of water & once every other month i sprinkle crushed habenero pepper over their feed. They do well on 18% all flock when they get older, but when they are young and growing 21% meat bird seems to work well.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So while we are waiting for Turkey nature to run its course.

Can you kind folks please share with me the best way to ship eggs. How do you pack them in to a box and what is the best carrier to use? (UPS/Fedex/USPS/carrier pigeon/etc...)

Also, I got a few BO chicken hens that have gone broody. What's your thoughts about sticking some turkey eggs under a few broodies? 21 days for chicken to hatch vs 28 days for Turkey eggs to hatch. Think it would work?

Spring is on it's way which means babies are coming.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, the hen doesn't look at a calendar, so she'll stay until the job is done. She talks to them every day! You should be fine.