Turmeric paste for skin cancer

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello, :frow I don't get over here very often, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with using turmeric to treat skin cancer? Not for me, but for my dog. I have been reading up on it and they say it has real potential for skin cancer (and stomach/colon cancers, anything it can come into direct contact with.) I have heard it has been used on human skin cancers, but cannot find any further information on how to go about it.

What I am wanting to do is mix a good quality turmeric powder with raw honey perhaps, or maybe coconut oil and apply it as a poultice to a large hemangioma sarcoma tumor on my dog's belly. It's a very aggressive cancer and she has already had 2 surgeries to remove tumors, but the vet doesn't want to put her under again because she is 13 years old. We have fought this cancer for 3 years now. I don't think it has metastasized internally because she is very healthy and active for her age. The tumor bleeds a lot if disturbed (she's been wearing a cone for a month now) and it won't heal. I am constantly cleaning up blood spots from my carpet, so something has to be done. It's about the size of a nickel and exposed with no skin over most of it where she messed with it previously. The cone is working to keep her off of it, but it bleeds anyway.

I am wondering 1) will turmeric sting or cause her more pain? And 2) what all I should put into the ointment mixture? Any insight will be much appreciated. Thanks!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't know how it will work on a cancer, but I've made a paste of aloe vera, turmeric and coconut oil and used it on a rough, raised spot on my arm that wouldn't go away. And guess what? In about 4 days it was gone. I didn't notice any burning at all, but my spot wasn't exactly oozing or bleeding. I would be tempted to try it on her. Hope you can find her something that will work!

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know how it will work on a cancer, but I've made a paste of aloe vera, turmeric and coconut oil and used it on a rough, raised spot on my arm that wouldn't go away. And guess what? In about 4 days it was gone. I didn't notice any burning at all, but my spot wasn't exactly oozing or bleeding. I would be tempted to try it on her. Hope you can find her something that will work!

Aloe would be a good addition. Thanks for the idea! I'm glad to hear it doesn't sting the skin. I think this spot must itch or hurt some anyway since she won't leave it alone. I am desperate to try something that might help. The vet was no help. They gave her prednisone which didn't shrink it, but did make her wet the carpet, which she never does. :\

I tried Bulk Herb Store and Mountain Rose Herbs and they are both sold out of turmeric! I trust their quality, but am unsure of any other good sources. So I think I'll buy some at the grocery store for now and get this started on her right away.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I applied the turmeric to the tumor last night and bandaged it. Removed the bandage this morning to let the wound air out. Sometime later she stood up to stretch and shook herself out and a large piece of the tumor just fell off! About a marble-sized chunk, not just a scab. This kind of cancer has a lot of blood supply, so I had to apply some bloodstop powder to control the bleeding (as I have had to do a couple times before.) I am really surprised it affected it right away. Once the bleeding has quit, I will wash the wound, sanitize it and reapply the paste. It will really have good contact with the cancer now. I did take a picture of the tumor before I first used the turmeric. I will report back later how this goes.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yes, I want to hear how she makes out. I've heard of this B4.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am wondering how this turned out and if it worked.
I hope the dog is better.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I did forget to report back!

It did cause the outer most part of the tumor to fall off initially and the salve seemed to be antiseptic and soothing to the wound. Beneath the skin, the tumor grew so rapidly that it reached about the size of a golf ball or so. We finally resorted to surgery again because it would sporadically bleed uncontrollably, enough to cause anemia and passing out. I am rather aggravated with my vet for not taking it off when it was smaller. It was worth the risk. My dog came through the surgery great, in spite of her age. She has had this skin cancer for 3 years (and two prior surgeries) and it has popped up in different places on her belly, but the vet said the large tumor was only in the skin layer and did not appear to be metastasized to the abdominal wall at all. She has regained her strength and is totally back to herself now. I am so relieved. If I find any more little spots, I think I will try black salve/bloodroot on them instead, since I have heard it works quickly with good result. The turmeric just didn't make enough difference on a tumor that size.

Latest posts