Turn Off Your Cell Phones....

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
That is what the sign said at our local Harcatas office. I was a little bit surprised that they would have this up, as they are a program that helps low income family with things like emergency heat and their electric bills. (I was there to pick up a free energy saver kit!)

I looked at the receptionist and said, "Low income families can afford cell phones???"

She said, "You'd be surprised how many people come in with the IPhone but can't pay their electric/heat bill."

:th

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know what you mean. My kids are barely out of the house and they have big screen tv's new furniture, nice cars, the whole lot.

They are also living in low income housing and getting food stamps! :barnie

I never knew about this system when I was young but they have managed to get everything I DON'T have and more. I am proud of them to a point but it is insane how people can get away with this these days when the economy is supposed to be so slow.

They are in college right now but just wait until they hit the real world. :smack

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I know these programs are there for families when we need it, but my goodness! It took me MONTHS to swallow my pride enough to go in and ask for help. I couldn't imagine going in there with a fancy new toy and saying, "Yea, I can't pay my electric, think you could give me some help?"

When my husband first became disabled, we sold off EVERYTHING that we had of value so we wouldn't have to apply for assistance (which we did have to do after we ran out of valuables.)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha, it's not only cell phones...I have seen women who have been on Welfare for 15 years go to the doc for fertility pills so they can get pregnant again and collect welfare services for another 16 years with a new baby...now that really irks me! Yes the system is there for those in need and I FULLY support that, don't get me wrong....but those who abuse the system really should be looked at a little more closely.

Quail, I really hope and pray that your DH gets back to good health and your life can return to normal once again. It will get better with time...until then you use every resource you have to to get your family through this, and don't feel badly about it!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Morel, it's hard to not feel badly sometimes. I just feel like people would look at us a mooching. I don't want the rep of a mooch!

Yesterday we were talking to a lady about a program that may possibly help us get a well. It was the first time I had really expressed my frustrations with the system, as the system I feel has failed us. She was shocked to hear how we haven't had water in 7 years and said she didn't know how we were surviving.

I immediately said, "Barter barter barter!" and I told her that I'm going up to get two turkeys today in trade for eggs LOL She was in awe. She said the way this economy is tanking, so many people aren't going to know how to make ends meet, but because DH and I have been in the tank for nearly 4 years, by the time everyone joins us we'll be the ones surviving because I've already set up my bartering system. :p

How's that for a compliment?!

But I do get frustrated. I felt bad that I let my emotions get the best of me and I ranted and raved to this woman that it is absolutely NOT fair that my husband started working at 17 years of age and worked hard and steady until his back was injured. People up the road from us collect SSI/Disability on two out of 3 of their kids, and the kids are not disabled!!! The parents live off their kids SSI and don't work! They got $14,000 back pay for their daughter, who needs a bed, and whild DD didn't get a bed DAD got a Harley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just irritates me to no end! My husband and I worked our tails off! We paid in to SSI/Disability and it's supposed to be there for us when we need it!! He paid into it, he's hurt HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO COLLECT WHAT HE PAID!!!!!!!!!!!

But nooooooo, he gets denied while Mom and Dad up the road who do not need help getting dressed or to the bathroom, etc..are collecting it for their kids...and what gets me is NO ONE knows whether or not those kids could work a job, because those kids aren't OLD enough to work a job!!!!!!!!! Only because the kids are labeled ADD and ADHD so they get disability!!

I'd label those kids as UNDISCIPLINED! never had a SPANKING......

:barnie :he :somad

Sorry, I got carried away........

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Some people have their priorities all mixed up, what they think is essential usually should be the lowest on their list, unfortunately that's where common sense and the welfare of their children lives.

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Some people do take advantage. Some poor people have that cell phone as an exclusive phone. In some cases the cell is cheaper than a landline. Some also may be required by their job to carry it. I will not judge.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I hope and pray you can get assistance to get a well!! :fl

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes, you're right, some do need it. But when I see them (with my own eyes) pulling up to the supermarket in a Cadillac Escalade, and then use food stamps to pay for their food (which usually includes all kinds of unhealthy packaged garbage) then yes, I will judge. Around here the scenario I just described is far too common.

I heard a woman being interviewed complaining about the price of milk, and how she couldn't afford to give it to her kids - she was holding a cup of coffee and had the longest, fakest nails on the planet. Do you know what a fill costs every two weeks? Far more than a couple gallons of milk costs, even organic.

Priorities need to be knocked into line for many.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You are right. I have a friend that is a bakery manager. She sees stuff like that all the time.

Latest posts