Turning off the tv

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This seemed like a good place to post this... itd save electricity..

See I think America has this problem.. called watching tv. I've realized recently that 90% of the time I'm at home my tv is on.(and usually its just poo about celebrities that I don't really care about) If I'm home and my husband is home usually one of us is watching tv and one of us is on the internet.

So I guess I'm just trying to see if any of you just dont watch tv. How'd you manage to get over not watching your favorite shows, so you could chat about them the next day? Or what do you do in all that free time that your not being glued to the tv?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Our tv is only on for about three hours a day, kids watch maaybe an hour of it a day--if it is a crappy day. I watch a few shows, but I don't have any favourites, and iI am usually on the laptop at the same time.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We don't have one and I can't imagine when we would watch one if we did. Guess I wouldn't be gardening, canning or all my other SS stuff! :D

Now, internet is another story and I'm the only one on it!

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you Beekissed! This forum is so small so instead of searching I just look through stuff and must of missed it. :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We haven't had a tv for 6 years this past May!

Right before we cut the cord, we were mostly watching PBS, The History Channel, Food Network, HGTv, and Discovery Channel on cable. We were in an area with one supplier. Every 6 or 8 months they raised the rate of Basic Cable. It started at $50/month and was raised to $85/month right when we were discussing the dimise of tv in our life.

We found we were reading all those books that were piling up on nightstands and bookcases. We found things, people, and places to see and visit. We taught ourselves a new language. We increased our volunteering. DH and I found we really LIKED talking/listening to each other and our adult children. We spent time with the people that mattered to us instead of people who didn't give a hoot if we were dead or alive (on tv).

In my opinion, most of the stuff on tv was *you MUST buy this* and just outright *crap*. Is all that violence necessary?! Is it critical to my life what happens to any celebrity? And do I have to know what Paris or Brittney is wearing or doing? Do I have to know what Oprah Winfrey (pick anyone here) thinks about a subject before I can make an informed decision on my own?

We get the movies we want to see for free from the local public library. We get our news from newspapers, radio, magazines and the internet. We listen to sports events on the radio or the internet.

Is it hard to live without tv? Not really. It does take others some time to stop asking you "did you watch......?" But, if they are talking about the news or sports, as I mentioned, there are other ways to keep up with that information.

In talking with others about our decision, I found that the ones who really got something accomplished in their life were the ones who watched very little television.

If you don't want to go 'cold turkey' like we did, start cutting back on the tv time. Then gradually increase the amount of time you are not watching. Keep a journal of how much you get done, instead of sitting in front of the screen. You might be amazed.....

Good luck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know we have alot of new members and I love it! But...I don't want them to think we just won't participate in their threads, if we had already covered the subject before they came. I don't want it to seem we have a cliche and won't give a newcomer the time of day....I think this happens in the BYC a lot and its because they've already had a previous discussion on it.

This is where a mod comes in handy to move and combine posts to keep them fresh and alive! :)

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its just hard sometimes not to see what Paris is wearing, because even though I'm married and I probably shouldn't, I'm still young and put a lot of my value in my looks :he nope just can't get away from that, its a generation thing....
But I will start studying more often instead of watching what Britney Spears is doing. I should anyways, I just always got caught up in celebrity drama because I never have to think while thats on... of course then again maybe thats why our nation is in such trouble, I know I'm not the only one watching that crap..

ETA: Beekissed, your so great at introducing new members to this forum. Are you a moderator? Or just a member? Cause you're so great you should be a mod.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
RTRChick said:
Its just hard sometimes not to see what Paris is wearing, because even though I'm married and I probably shouldn't, I'm still young and put a lot of my value in my looks :he nope just can't get away from that, its a generation thing....
But I will start studying more often instead of watching what Britney Spears is doing. I should anyways, I just always got caught up in celebrity drama because I never have to think while thats on... of course then again maybe thats why our nation is in such trouble, I know I'm not the only one watching that crap..

ETA: Beekissed, your so great at introducing new members to this forum. Are you a moderator? Or just a member? Cause you're so great you should be a mod.
Thanks, but I'm just a member...one of the first on here and the subject is dear to my heart, so I want us to grow. Not as big as BYC, mind you, but more folks with more ideas and fresh insight is always a plus!

I like playing the devil's advocate too much to be a mod! ;) :lol: :cool: Have to stay objective and be a goody two shoes when yer a mod....that's not me by a long stretch! :D

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I myself haven't watched tv for at least a couple of years.
My husband and children like to watch sports when they are on like the world series, but other than that I think its a waste of time.
I had tried to get the kids to cut back on tv a few months ago and now they don't bother with it either.
I don't have a favorite show and even when I watched tv I never chatted to anyone about them.
I honestly could not tell you one show that is on television, I don't even think about tv.
What do I do when I don't watch tv? Read, play with my children, plan family outings and activities, cook, garden, take care of my animals, home improvement projects, crafts, volunteer at my church, volunteer at the childrens' schools etc.