Turning old into new

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I was hoping to find a place like this here. Sometimes you see something and wonder, now what could I do with that. Just wanted to let you all know what we have "recycled" over the years and hope you will all share with me as well!!

We turned an old shed from a friends farm into our second chicken coop.

We turned an old greenhouse frame into a pen for our meat chickens.

We turned some old trash recepticles that our city was going to throw away into compost bins. The bins are the metal mesh like ones that you put a galvanized trash bin inside of. If you want to know more I will post pics.

Anyway you all get the idea, what have you done to save something from the landfill???

Frozen Feathers

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I turned my inlaws old deck into a chicken coop.

I use those giant cable spools as play toys for my goats. :)

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
And I thought I had a mixed flock LOL. I thought I'd ask as someone on byc said they thought you had some.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I recycled an old shed into raised beds, cold frame, and a wood shed. Recycled an old chain link fence into a chicken run and gates for the fencing on my property. We turned a poorly designed outbuilding into a chick brooder/lawn tractor shelter/dog palace, an outhouse into a tool shed, galvanized wash tubs into a waterfall, 3 gal. paint buckets into feeders and waterers, a screen door into the top of my cold frame, my old shower doors into the top of other cold frames, utility poles into fence posts, utility companies wood chip dump into mulched pathways for the garden, old rotten haybales into mulch, cardboard boxes into insulation in the hen house, large pretzel tubs into feeders, PVC pipe into a feeder, an old cot mattress into a dog lounger, old rattan furniture into new porch furniture, a baby mattress innards for covering the springs of the old rattan settee and rocker, a broken child's card table into a cute end table for the rattan set, turned old wooden truck panels into walls of my chick brooder, turned bean poles into roosts and trellis for tomatoes, turn old silverware into wind chimes, will be turning the old, broken down garage into a farm stand.....well, that's sort of it for this year's recycled bits but always on the lookout for more projects.... :D I think my new title should be Scrounger Queen!!! :lol:

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow beekissed. Lots of great ideas. I can't wait for you to start again. I only have a few. Turned an old dog pen with dog house into a chicken coop and run. Old wooden barrels into planters for tomatoes and peppers.
Scrounged up some rocks in our field and made a raised garden bed. Going to put an old bath tub in the same area as soon as DH can get it for me.
I also belong to freecycle.org. I love it. Get things I need and get rid of things I don't.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
I recycled old doors to make a brooder for my pheasant. I just flipped it on it's side so they can have cover when it rains outside.