Two a day..............

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have decided to fence in some of the woods surrounding the paddocks (too small to be fields-lol) so that the goats can go there to eat down brush.
I would prefer to leave them as places for wild life to be but California State government has mandated a 100 foot cleared of brush area for fire safety reasons. And since my only fire protection force is the state fire department, I figure I should try to accomplish this. Mine is about 60 ft. So, rather than do it by hand, I plan to let the goaties do it for me.
The first part of the project is putting in about 20 T-posts. I prefer wood posts but trying to dig post holes in a group of redwoods is like trying to win the lottery- no chance of finding room between the roots and rocks. So much easier to pound a post into the ground.
But doing that is a very hard thing on my wonky back and neck. So my goal is to do two a day.
I figure that if I announce my goal, I will be too embrassed not to do what I have said I would.

So two yesterday. And looking for two today..........

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am glad I am not the only one who does that, I too have a bad back at times. We have been putting a chain link fence up for our inner yard (to separate from the pasture) I would dig two posts a day, it took a few weeks of casual work but it made the job easier than trying to kill myself all at once and I am still standing up straight.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:D
I do that to. Not because of my health problems, but because it just seems to work better for me if I do. When there is something overwhelming (to me) that I need to do, I break it down. It is always easier to start the chore of the day if you KNOW you only have to do 2.....or 10mins, or whatever.

Then once you are done with your alloted time or however many you set out to do, IF you choose to do more then it is easier because you are already there, have everything and are started.
Sometimes getting started is the hardest. LOL Good luck.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Thats a good way to break it down. I find myself doing things like that as well. A little today, a little tomorrow. Seems when I go back to it, it makes me feel like I've accomplished something, because I can see my work....like stepping back for a few to see your progression. Small steps, small rewards....big project done, satisfaction :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
That's what my husband and I did when we put in fence posts for the goats....um..except we didn't get to pound them in. My husband insisted on using locust :barnie So we dug 2 holes a day, and set 2 posts....sometimes we would do two in the morning, two in the evening, depending on how hubby's back felt (he has degenerative disc disease and 3 herniations).

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
ETR, what are you using to set your t-posts... a sledgehammer? In case you're not using it already, try borrowing or renting one of those t-post whammer-inner thingies (may be called a post pounder or heaven only knows what, but if you describe it people will know what you're talking about - it is a heavy 2-3' length of capped iron pipe with handles on it).

It is a bit awkward putting it on the end of the post and then tilting the post upright, but after that it is DEAD EASY to use, not very much effort at all, b/c you just lift the whammer thing up and then let its weight do the whamming down. You can assist it downwards if you have frustrations that you want to take out on an inanimate object but it is not actually necessary :p

Of course if you are already using a post setter such as the above, just ignore me :p

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Yeah I'm using a post pounder that I borrowed from a friend- who told me today that she was cussing me out a couple of days ago when she had to drive in a grounding rod with a hammer because I had her pounder.
It's just that the lifting up of the thing causes my neck to act up. I do much better digging out with a post hole digger but not possible in this location sorry to say.

But the coundt's now 6.........

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I fenced my 5 acre horse pasture with t-posts and the t-post pounder.......I am still vibrating years later!!!...LOL---very hard work.

Now on the farm with the tractor....we use only wooden posts and the post hole digger tractor equipment. I don't miss those t-posts...LOL-LOL

smart to break down a big job to a small one! I do that all the time, do what I can handle and eventually it all gets done! COOL