Unbelievable Prices For Cat Furniture

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made the mistake recently of checking some price tags on cat condos and trees both online and through pet stores and GET REAL! The cheapest one I liked was $110 and they ranged up to $250! :ep

71eh5EuQ-XL._SL1200_.jpg

Being owned by two rescue kitties who are the light of my life, I am of course a sucker for improving the quality of the 23 hours they sleep a day. But this is basically particle board, cheap carpet, and some sisal that won't stand up to use.

Even the used ones for sale through my local Craigslist are no cheaper than 60 bucks!

Has anyone ever made a cat tree like this one? If so, would you let me know where you got the plans? (I sense a new project coming for hubby's carpenter friend.) ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My parents bought theirs but it's pretty tough and their cats live (sleep) on it all the time. Silly what we spend money on, right? (I don't have cats but rest assured, my dogs are spoiled too)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made one back in the '90s. We were poor and the prices sucked then too. I had access to free landscaping timber remnants as well as remnants from a friends carpet install. I think the only things bought were a couple rolls of good quality thick sisal and the screws I used to hold it all together. Big ones for structure and small ones to hold the carpet and sisal.

It's stupid easy to make one. My cats didn't care for an enclosed top room. They'd lay on top of it. They preferred the boxes we'd stuff between legs. Just cut an entrance flap.

My cats now prefer cardboard or wood for claws. Cardboard boxes are the favorite because they can bite and chew them as well. They will use the 2x4s on my wood rack too.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh it was a 6 foot tall one I did. Bottom 3 feet of one leg was sisal. 3 legged is very stable and easy to do. One I did was 4 legged.

Now I'd just do 3. Not sure I'd carpet more than one leg. My cats run 12 feet up fairly smooth 4x6s outside.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never cared for cats, but it looks easy to make. Just needs some plywood and old carpet

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That looks easy to make yourself, which makes the price tag even more mind boggling. I guess there are people out there who really love their cats and can afford to/don't mind spending that kind of money. I sure as heck wouldn't!

Calista

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't even use plans. Just eyeballed it.

Yes, hubby showed the picture to his carpenter friend and he said the same. We told him to go for it, forget the carpet, and use whatever scrap lumber he has laying around, as long as it's not particle board.

One of my cats adores enclosed spaces so the little house is for him. The other one sprawls on whatever's available, usually my yarn.

Latest posts