tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I was reading about skin microbiome and the effects of common hygiene products (shampoo, deoderant, etc) on the skin microbiome in November. The claim is that if we stop using these products, certain "odor eating" bacteria populations won't be decimated daily and they will crowd out the stinkier bacterias. Ever curious, I decided to experiment.

I stopped used shampoo, conditioner, styling product other than hairspray, body wash, bar soap, lotion, deoderant and toothpaste the second week of November, but the third week of November I applied deoderant one day.

I used exfoliation, baking soda, cornstarch, coconut oil, boar bristle brush for hygiene. I used hand soap on hands only.

6 weeks in my husband had not noticed a difference.

the 7th week, my family (myself, DH, DS10) got norovirus. DS2 did not. I was cleaning and disinfecting, and continuous laundry for days. After a few days, I "caved" and took a long hot bath for comfort and used shampoo, deoderant - pretty much everything on my list of things I hadn't used.

On the second day after the bath (and applying deoderant), I noticed a definite increase in underarm stink. :sick I'm back to applying baking soda to eliminate that odor like in the first week or so of the experiment.

I noticed that conventional products are faster to use. However, they make me feel dependent upon them. I don't like that feeling. So after returning to conventional hygiene products for a day, I'm going back to the unconventional. It works. It's cheap. And more important to me, I can get those things without plastic packaging.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't use deodorant, it is on the list of things I react to. I use hydrogen peroxide when I have odor, which isn't often. I use unscented shampoo and Dove soap, original. I like the convenience of conventional products, timewise, I shower and get out-on to the next thing.

I sometimes use coconut oil as moisturizer. I can use Aveeno, but no other store bought product.

Kudos to you for seeking a healthier, cheaper way to be clean!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
When I was hand washing literally 100 times or so in a day during the first couple days of cleaning up items contaminated with norovirus, my hands got chapped and raw. Coconut oil wasn't touching it. i got Aveeno (only kind of lotion DH doesn't mind using) and noticed improvement after a few uses. My mom makes her own lotion with beeswax and oils. i think the wax component must be important to seal in the moisture.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom hasn't used deodorant since the 70s and I've never smelled her sweat, and that woman worked hard and sweated like a mule~still does. She just lacks any body odor at all...well...except when she has gas. :D

My Dad did the same but he would definitely stink after working outside and sweating.

They still used the soaps and shampoos and such, though. Could be a factor.

I've tried going without the shampoo but couldn't get past the greasy phase...my head started itching too bad, so had to go back to shampoo.

Interesting experiment! I may try to experiment a little in that area myself this winter. :thumbsup

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I react to deoderants. Always have. Rash and blisters.

I use salt crystals to prevent stink, and I will stink if I work a lot. Baking soda burns me under my arms.

I made up some body butter tonight with beeswax, oils, and butters. I'm testing it out before I make up some for mom. She's sworn off store chapstick now and I have to make her that now. She was going on how she wanted bigger tubes so she could use it on her hands and arms to heal them.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've tried going without the shampoo but couldn't get past the greasy phase...my head started itching too bad, so had to go back to shampoo.

I don't believe the greasy phase hypothesis. There's no feedback to the oil glands that tells them to produce oil in relation to what has already been excreted. My experience with previous no-poo attempts is that the greasy phase never goes away - it gets progressively worse.

I didn't do a greasy phase this time. If it gets a bit oily looking I apply cornstarch to my roots to absorb oil and brush through thoroughly with a boar bristle brush. I do it at night and sleep on a white pillowcase. After a week or two of occassional cornstarch, there is some powder left stuck in my hair and I rinse it out with water. one time I used vinegar.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Although I personally do not advocate this... I have read that urine is supposed to be good to prevent dandruff and make the hair glossy- it rebalances the ph of the scalp after using shampoo. It was supposedly an old Gypsy trick. I've also read that the Inuit used to use it to clean their hair as well-- not sure if it was because it doesn't freeze or because it did a good job of cleaning. I can't imagine the smell though :sick

There's your ear worm for today :D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Apparently I fell asleep trying to edit a spelling mistake on my post and accidentally deleted it. And went to I dont know where on the internet.

So again, I always gotten a rash and blisters from deoderants. So I use salt bars to prevent being stinky, and I do get that way when working. Baking soda burns me so that is not an option.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, stale urine was used historically to kill lice and lighten hair. Since the uric acid converts to ammonia. It was used to bleach leather as well.

Latest posts