Underwater Turbines to Harness the Gulf Stream

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds like a variation on the old hydroelectric plant. I guess it's viability would depend upon cost of equipment and manpower vs. cost of power created. I think it sounds like a great idea!

We in the Midwest (IL resident) have been hearing about ethanol and biodiesel since the 1980's, but every foodsource used for electricity is NOT used to feed someone directly, or indirectly (lifestock feed, for instance.) In fact, nobody can grow enough corn or soybeans EVEN USING ROADSIDES to completely replace oil as our primary fuel source. So, I like to hear about untapped resources.

I think we need to approach energy from both sides--new power sources and less power usage. It would also be nice if somebody could make an affordable, non-electric motion detector-type electric shut-off. I mean, there's a toilet seat that shuts itself--you know, to keep your dog out of it when you're out of the house. Just a thought. :D

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I live on the west coast and our local power company sought permission for a tide generator- supposedly the power of the tide coming in and out might generate power at a cost savings. Possible but dubious to me. But how would taking the power of the tide surge effect the coastal ecology?
Anyway- everything done to harness power has an effect. Enough solar panels means less heating of the earth to be released back at night. So even in local conditions, solar panels, if used in mass, would tend it increase heat during the day (when people tend to use power) and make it colder at night. Harnessing hydro power slows flows in the stream which can cause alge blooms- as happens here already. Wind power reduces the effect of wind- maybe changing weather if enough turbines are in play.
Everything people do changes something, so I tend to fall on the conservation before method of wringing more energy into people use. If people find a good thing, it ends up being drained until problems build up.

jeffreydominic

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The underwater stream roughly contains around 21,000 times more energy than the Niagara Falls and by some estimates, could potentially provide up to one-third of Florida's electricity needs. The "marine energy" industry has come up with a number of ideas to make use of the movement of water around the globe, be it from ocean waves, tides slipping into and out of inlets, or regular ocean currents like the Gulf Stream.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/07/27/ocean.turbines/index.html

As water flows by a turbine, it turns a rotor blade. As the rotor blade turns energy is created.One of the basic laws of Physics is that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. As your turbine removes energy from the gulf stream it is going to cool or slow the Stream and the neighbors on North America's east coast and Europe's west coast are going to be upset with you for stealing their energy
I guess it was just a matter of time, the Gulf Stream is on 24/7.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This thread is really, really old. Last legitimate post before you, gd, was in 2009. Several of the new accounts lately have been resurrecting old, dead threads without adding anything of real use to them. I'm just waiting for them to go back and put their advertisements in the posts.

adeena

Frugally lurking
Reaction score
Store electricity for a calm day: if your home isn't connected to the national grid you can store excess electricity in batteries and use it when there is no wind.