Miss Lone Star's Travels

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello all. We wanted to be more self sufficient and we have two young kids. I am retired Army and a 100% service disabled Veteran. We sold all of our possessions and the house in Austin, TX and moved aboard our boat. It is not ideal, in a self sufficient way but we are headed in the right direction. We've travelled from Kemah, TX to the Florida Keys and we are headed out into the Bahamas for the next six months. It's been five months and 1300 miles so far.

Our goal is to be almost completely self sufficient, aside from minimal provisioning. Like I said, we aren't there yet but we are doing much better than we did when we lived in a neighborhood. We currently have a power boat but we will be selling it this summer and trading up for a sailboat. The new boat will have solar and wind generation. No generator. The plan is to be able to sail for the good part of a year and use almost no fuel. Currently, we get most of our food from the sea, protein anyway. We provision by going to the Navy base to get supplies that we carefully manage. We use a lot of fuel at this point but hopefully that will soon change.

Our kids are so much better off and they don't watch TV anymore. We all love living on a boat and we are making the best plan to do better with much less. My wife is a great cook and she is buying a pressure cooker for us to do more with less on a boat, saving energy. We fix everything ourselves and man, a lot of things break! We started a blog to detail or plans and preparations, journey, etc. It has been fun to look back on and it reminds us that we no less than we ever thought. We did a YouTube channel for us to show people our journey. It is a little silly, but that's who we are as a family.

Strangely, we are also very happy about our situation given the state of the world. I can't way how happy it makes me to be in a place with far less people. My family's safety is my main priority and I take proper precautions.

We are rookies at all of this but we both grew up country, so I guess we aren't really that new to conservation and sustainability. We want to learn as much as we can and thought that this would be a great source of information. We would love to hear from anyone else that has ever done what we are doing and really everyone else! Thanks for reading.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm sure you have already found Carolyn's blog called The Boat Galley?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome I take it that Miss Lone Star is the name of your boat? (I don't have the time right now to watch the video, so I don't know if you say anything on there about it or not.) Look forward to reading more about your adventures.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When DH and I split, I bought him a repossessed house, but I really wanted to buy him a house boat. I live in a bayou community which connects the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico, so I felt with water access we could go almost anywhere, if we had a mind to and could get any amount of seafood, but DH didn't want :(
He came up with 7 or 8 reasons it wouldn't work, but I still think it was a neat idea. So glad you joined. I watched one of your videos and plan on watching all the others.
I wouldn't mind selling out and turning my bus into a camper or buying a trawl boat, but if I did the trawl boat, I'd need someone to help me figure out the ins and outs.
Cool way to unplug.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures.