update on home use wind turbine..

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Lucky you! I would love to use wind power, as it is one resource of which we have plenty here in WV. I don't think its a bad decision and people argue that the cost is prohibitive, but who will be more prepared in an emergency? I say, if one has the resources to get solar or wind power, one should do so sooner than not.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, we still haven't decided either way. We need to explore the whole scenario, to make sure that it is in our best interests. But if all goes well, having it paid for in 7 +/- years makes it attractive.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would do it as well. Just can't afford it right now. Wish I could make one and hook it up ourselves. But don't think that would wash with the electric company.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I checked all into wind power.
you need AT LEAST 10 mph wind to give you "anything"---in NC I don't have that so it was not useful in general...but solar is a better option of course being we have sun.

Read very carefully about wind power. Maintenance on the turbines etc. is more than one would think AND it is expensive. When I researched it I was amazed what "was behind" the scenes I didn't know about.

You can hook up along with the elec. company if they allow, you can sell back power, you must have height permits for the tower, noise control if near other people, etc. etc. Seemed rough to get it all started to me. Just some things I found out that didn't make it so attractive at this point.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I checked all into wind power.
you need AT LEAST 10 mph wind to give you "anything"---in NC I don't have that so it was not useful in general...but solar is a better option of course being we have sun.

Read very carefully about wind power. Maintenance on the turbines etc. is more than one would think AND it is expensive. When I researched it I was amazed what "was behind" the scenes I didn't know about.
10 mph, in my neck of the woods, is considered a slightly breezy day. It is extremely windy here, so thats not a problem.

However, we still need to discuss the maintenance etc with him before any decisions are made.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea like anything major you have to think "what if" long term type thing..LOL

I wish things in life were more cut and dried...but if you have the wind then it is a great source!!!

just check local permits and such....you might buy and be stopped. one never knows the legality of things.
best of luck to you