Urban off-grid SS lifestyle vid

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This family has been discussed here a few times in the past. They have some great ideas, and have kept it going for a long while. But they have also made some people angry by "trademarking" several phrases (like "urban homestead"). I've also read quite often that the father won't allow his kids to move out/get married/get on with their lives on their own terms so they are stuck with him--lots of kinda "cult-like" comments have been made about aspects of their lifestyle.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
This family has been discussed here a few times in the past. They have some great ideas, and have kept it going for a long while. But they have also made some people angry by "trademarking" several phrases (like "urban homestead"). I've also read quite often that the father won't allow his kids to move out/get married/get on with their lives on their own terms so they are stuck with him--lots of kinda "cult-like" comments have been made about aspects of their lifestyle.
I must have missed the earlier thread(s) moolie. Thanks for your comment.

I was impressed by their techniques and methods - and all of that side of it is still valid, for learning. Had anyone posted the video previously? I like that it visually illustrates "how it's done" (something that I feel we need more of here at SS).

The aspects of their family life that you mention obviously aren't appealing.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, their efforts and results are absolutely inspiring, it's just too bad that they feel they have the monopoly on certain terminology--in an age when more and more people are moving toward a more sustainable lifestyle.

I'm pretty sure that video is featured on their website http://urbanhomestead.org/ as it seemed really familiar. Lots of great info on their website. :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is an interesting family and website.
I don't know if all the hoopla is true (cult like, etc)

If the kids wanted to leave badly enough, they would. One daughter hasn't lived there for years.

Latest posts