Usda asking to register your garden....wth?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One year, a group of us potted up seedlings of a variety of veggies in six-packs (ex: 2 tomatoes, a cucumber, a zucchini, and 2 pole beans) to be given to people getting food from the local Food Bank. The idea was to encourage people to plant at least a little bit of a garden to help with their food needs. People didn't have to accept them if they didn't want them, but most people accepted them. We were so excited, until we found most of them had been thrown into the dumpster outside....

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not only are too many that are just too da@#ed lazy to prepare food... but saying no politics on this... this is a way of government to have more control over things when the going gets rough. They will come in and confiscate.... just one more thing they can "hold against" you for whatever reason.
If I grow stuff and want to give it away, or put it all my in own freezer or can it all, or FEED it all to my chickens... that is my personal decision. If you grow it and the government thinks it is more than you should have next thing it will get taken for "redistribution".... This is coming if we don't get things back on to a track of people taking responsibility for themselves and having some initiative to do for themselves.

NOPE.... NONE of their business....
And I am sure not going to start giving to those that are too cotton picking lazy to try to grow their own like @FarmerJamie 's ex-wife's friend.... I remember reading about that... talk about thinking they are entitled.... and wanting someone else to do the work. Let 'em get hungry. That is what many in this world needs....

HillsideFarmHawaii.com

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
FWIW, most of our gardens wouldn't be able to be registered since they're not a collaborative community effort that is teaching gardening. Those are the sorts of gardens who can sign up on the USDA list.

From reading the article, the USDA isn't really asking folks to register their own home gardens, just allowing community gardens to be listed. Not requiring them to be listed, not even asking them to be listed, just 'allowing' them to be listed if they feel like it.

Not sure what benefit the gardens would get by being listed, though. Gardens are usually only of really local benefit and the USDA is a Federal program so unless the USDA is gonna hand out a grant or something, don't see as how it would do the gardens much good to sign up.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Compare the tone with the promotion of "Victory Gardens" back when. So many examples of urban gardens getting wrecked by perps unknown.
I need to get back to work. Lol