Use for old oatmeal canisters

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Storage. If you have access to a store with bulk bins for dry foods you could use the containers you have to store bulk bought grains/beans/noodles/etc - even bulk bought oat flakes ;). Win/win - use what you have, and not add anymore.
Hmmmm...I wonder if I could use it to store chicken feed...? Every time I buy a new bag, I take out about 4 days worth of feed, put it in a gallon ziploc bag, & stash it in my storage cabinet (for when TSHTF, you know). Oatmeal cannisters might be the better alternative...

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
A. Donate to your local Boy Scouts of America or Girl Scouts groups. The younger levels always need oatmeal containers for crafts. The Cub scouts can make Indian totem poles out of them. That's fun.

B. I don't know if it's feasible or even possible, but wouldn't it be neat to make a lot of holes or shapes in them, then cover them with a bright colored paper mache, maybe hanging some down like fringe, or gluing that tassle-like fringe along the bottom.... and putting a hole in the bottom to run a string of the itty-bitty Christmas lights through....

The thing is, I don't know how much of one strand would need to be in one canister to make enough light, and if it's one strand per canister, holy schmoly, your electric bill will be through the roof! And those people who put white tags on lights get really upset when you string 14 strands together, sheesh! What's wrong with a little sparking???

Now I have to try this. The luminaria thing, not the 14 strands thing.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
eggs4sale said:
B. I don't know if it's feasible or even possible, but wouldn't it be neat to make a lot of holes or shapes in them, then cover them with a bright colored paper mache, maybe hanging some down like fringe, or gluing that tassle-like fringe along the bottom.... and putting a hole in the bottom to run a string of the itty-bitty Christmas lights through....

Now I have to try this. The luminaria thing, not the 14 strands thing.
Ok, pictures please! Gotta see it when you're done! :D

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have used them to pack baked goods in and send them to my friends for Christmas, Birthday's etc. I decorate the outside with pretty paper and stickers. I love oatmeal containers.

ilovetodig

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I covered some to match my bathrooms and store extra toilet tissue in them -- 2 rolls just fit. I also store plastic grocery bags in them. They also make great canisters for dried beans, etc. which I prefer to use rather than plastic.