Use Less Electricity - Pay More

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This doesn't surprise me one bit. In Colorado Springs, we were all told to save water because of the drought. Well, everyone did such a good job of conserving water, the water company raised the rates because not enough people were using as much water and their revenue fell.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I know a guy who has a workshop and gets a cut rate for using more electricity. He runs woodworking equipment and a few other things, the line includes his home and his bill is lower than ours!!! I did hear that they plan to eliminate this, but if grandfathered in as he is, he gets to keep the discount as long as he lives there and uses lots of electricity.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
that is the most stupid idea ive ever heard of. someone is going to get rich off all this and i hope they share a cell with Bernie madoff. i hate that this is happening to yall but if they make it work then we will all have to get ready for the kick in the pants.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
business is business

if you cut their revenue, they must make it up somewhere.....just basic accounting and their staff and workload truly doesn't slow with us using less power.....but less revenue to run the plants, well, we know that won't wash..HA HA

I hate it. At everyone's mercy but we want the conveniences. I know I still do.

BUT even if we pay a little more when we use less, the price is small when we apply it to the conservation we create. Less power plants built, less emmissions, etc. etc. So there is a decent trade off.

In a show on TV I watched which was fabulous, said, that if all companies would just shut off their stupid computer monitors at night, it would mean we would not have to build about another 5 power plants to handle the increasing loads. So conservation is needed, but sadly we pay the price all the way around.

If everyone would just install a solar water heater unit, just for a water heater, it would mean 1 or 2 less power plants that wouldn't have to be built for the future to cover just that unit.......very very interesting show!

Lizzy Jo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
In a show on TV I watched which was fabulous, said, that if all companies would just shut off their stupid computer monitors at night, it would mean we would not have to build about another 5 power plants to handle the increasing loads.
I would question this one. At night there is very little energy used as compared to daytime when most work is being done. I doubt that the minimal usage caused by computers being left on would make any difference overall. The rolling blackouts we had a few years ago in California all took place during the daytime when the weather was hot.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lizzy Jo said:
FarmerChick said:
In a show on TV I watched which was fabulous, said, that if all companies would just shut off their stupid computer monitors at night, it would mean we would not have to build about another 5 power plants to handle the increasing loads.
I would question this one. At night there is very little energy used as compared to daytime when most work is being done. I doubt that the minimal usage caused by computers being left on would make any difference overall. The rolling blackouts we had a few years ago in California all took place during the daytime when the weather was hot.
They were talking world wide.

phantom power of stuff just left on at night in corporations throughtout the entire world.

Its alot when you add it up.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I clicked on the link and it said it had expired, was this for the KC Metro area or state-wide, I am w/a local coop for our electricity here in MO.