Uses for juniper berries

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have many juniper's about the property. I noticed today they are covered up with berries. Must have been the wet spring. I found a few that were already dry on a small broken small limb, probably by a deer. I popped a few in my mouth and chewed them up. They had a very strong pine tree and orange flavor. I kind of hate to pass them by due to the abundance. But I don't know what they are good for.

Any ideas?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It doesn't use a whole lot, but hey. DH claims this tastes better than Grey Poupon.
Dijon Mustard
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:

• 3/4 cups hot mustard powder
  • 1/4 cup very cold water
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup minced shallots
  • 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
  • 4 whole juniper berries
  • 2 Tablespoons cold fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
Preparation:
In a bowl stir together mustard powder and water to make a paste. In a saucepan combine vinegar, wine, onion, shallots, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns, and juniper berries and bring mixture to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer mixture until reduced by two thirds. Strain mixture, cover and chill.

Stir the chilled vinegar reduction into the mustard paste. Add the lemon juice, salt, and sugar and stir to combine. Let mixture stand for at least 20 minutes. Transfer the mustard mixture to a saucepan, bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Transfer to a sterile jar and seal tightly, and store on a dark, cool shelf for at least a month or up to 6 weeks, before using.

Mustard will mellow with age. Mustard should be refrigerated once open and will keep for 6 months (although I have never had it last that long)

Yield: about 2 cups

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've never used them, but here's an article. They used to be abundant where I lived as a kid in Southern Maine (ledgy ground in some areas) but I don't have any on my property here. Could find some if I went for a hike. Beware, according to this article, not all juniper berries are created equal. But, the flavor you describe matches this article.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/juniper-berries-in-the-kitchen-912865