Uses for Rolled Oats

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought a 25# bag of old fashioned rolled oats. Mostly because I'm fed up with plastic packaging when I buy in smaller quantities. 25# comes in a paper bag.

I've got the obvious covered: granola, cookies, fruit topping. I'm curious about novel and sneaky ways to incorporate oats in cooking.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do they store well? I need to start buying more in bulk...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have been known to sneak oatmeal into a meat loaf or meat balls when I didn't have bread and/or bread crumbs.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
True, I've used it on pork chops when I don't have breadcrumbs.

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always put my oatmeal, rice, flour, etc. in the freezer for a few days.

Have any of you considered oven-canning? There are definitely pros and cons to this method. I have oven-canned flour, oatmeal, and rice (long grain NOT Minute). This has come in handy with the flooding in our area due to Hurricane Harvey.

Here is a website (make sure and do your research):

http://selfreliantnetwork11.blogspot.com/2012/04/oven-canning-preserves-dry-goods-for.html

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My husband is a great cook and he adds a little to soups (like you would barley) to thicken them. And you can make bread. I've used it for cobbler topping. And you mentioned cookies - my youngest 's favorite cookies are oatmeal with butterscotch chips instead of raisins. They're a huge hit at church picnics!

@TexasLisa, I hope you and your family survived the floods with no major losses!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, and we always used oats with the kids to feed fish off the dock. The fish love the oats and the kids love seeing them!! :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
they can go rancid, but if you store them in mylar with oxygen absorbers, or use a vacuum sealer-- they'll stay good for years.